ashimus

where can i catch a wild mangrove jack?

obviously mangroves anyone know any places though? i saw on the DPI website they have to be a minimum of 35cm thats a whopping big fish thatll put up a big fight but hey i love em anyone know where i can catch em?

omg seriously, focus on one idea, and do it properly. You're not going to get a mangrove jack.

I am not dissing you, but you've made so many posts in the last fortnight with so many different ideas... just decide on how many tanks you're going to have and what to do with them, then run with it.

You're not going to catch a wild jack and put it in captivity. End of story.

End of thread.

Keep your oscar, grow it out and love it.

Breed your convicts, enjoy them, then feed them to the oscar.

If you want to do something different, STOP. THINK.

Fish might not be the smartest creatures in the world but they deserve your respect. Give them a life in captivity that exceeds what they could achieve in the wild and you'll be a better person and your husbandry skills will benefit.

THEN, move on to a new challenge when the time is right.

It's an addictive hobby, but just hold your horses! Stop and smell the roses!! Insert relevant metaphor here!!

i get a million different ideas in my head everyday i just write them down and toss the idea around a few mates that are into fish wether itd work or not.

i actually get alot of pleasure out of watching my fish grow up you see something grow from 2cm-25cm over time and its a great feeling thats why i started with baby convicts(so i can work out how big when they breed so i can see there first batch of eggs so i see it all) instead of getting a pair of big cons and just letting them do it .

mrs rents asked about a jack because her stepdad said hes seen a few on youtube and wondered where he could get one because there getting a 8Lx2 OR 3Wx2H and he wanted something nuts for it because his oscar just gulps feeders

Without the wilds we would not be here talking about fish it's them that keeps the hobby going. And how do you know the one at the shop your buying is not wild I now for a fact alot of the jacks going around a the moment are wild plus it beats the dinner plate been in a tank that is.

I think its better I said nothing cos I think I would just explode. Lol

If you want a jack get a captive breed 1 there's been a few for sale here, but you would be better off with an 8 x 4 x 2.5.

At least he has done the research and knows is legal size limit unlike

The d**k heads that come in to the shop and say they have 6 jacks at 7cm they just cought from the wild If it's 35cm you can catch it and eat it way not keep it and display it doing it right now with my wild tropheus

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I love catching Mangrove Jacks, They are my Fav. I brought my boat especially for them. The people that know the good spots to catch them, they wont catch and tell.;) But this time of year you wont get none.

At least he has done the research and knows is legal size limit unlike

The d**k heads that come in to the shop and say they have 6 jacks at 7cm they just cought from the wild If it's 35cm you can catch it and eat it way not keep it and display it doing it right now with my wild tropheus

Hey I have wild caught oscars well 1 anyway, fair enough if you want to catch jacks and eat them but if u want to display them make sure you give them a big enough tank. My jack is nearly 2.5ft so an 8 x 2 or an 8 x 3 tank is not going to be big enough, all I am saying is make sure you give them plenty of room to grow.

That's why he's getting a 9 x 4. Monster fish need monster tanks. My personal opinion is if you can't supply a big enough tank don't get the big fish.

Well said :)

My 10 x 3 x 2 only has my Americans in it which even the biggest will max out at 2 foot

wouldn't dream of putting anything that grew larger in there 8O

Funny but dropped a pleco in there and one the same size in a 4 x 3 both tanks are on the same sump but the pleco in the 10 foot has gained 4/5" on his partner in a few months

more room to grow = more growth another reason for a larger tank

Fish junkie

buddy if you want a wild caught jack get out there and look for one, there are thousands around all year round they dont disappear, start with small estuaries. if you are gonna take one from the wild though and put it in a tank prob better on the down low it is illegal and obviously people on this forum feel quite strongly about it. if you want to know about catching any wild caught fish i would recommend doing some internet research then getting out there

buddy if you want a wild caught jack get out there and look for one, there are thousands around all year round they dont disappear, start with small estuaries. if you are gonna take one from the wild though and put it in a tank prob better on the down low it is illegal and obviously people on this forum feel quite strongly about it. if you want to know about catching any wild caught fish i would recommend doing some internet research then getting out there

Lol, they are there and CAN be caught this time of year, but alot of work, would rather put my efforts into Mulloway as it's cooling down.

That's why he's getting a 9 x 4. Monster fish need monster tanks. My personal opinion is if you can't supply a big enough tank don't get the big fish.

So true.

But I guess if oscars are happy in 2fts an 8ft could fit a shark! /eyeroll.

So true.

But I guess if oscars are happy in 2fts an 8ft could fit a shark! /eyeroll.

Lol lol that's it, unfortunately some ppl don't think about when big fish outgrow their tanks or they want to put big Americans in a divided 4ft with a toga. Lol

Lol lol that's it, unfortunately some ppl don't think about when big fish outgrow their tanks or they want to put big Americans in a divided 4ft with a toga. Lol

So how long has your 2.5ft jack been in a 8x2 for sound a bit mean seeing how hard it would be to turn around

cleobhp - i think i speak for all us of when i say chuck up a pic of ya 2 and a half ft jack n your 9x4 :) would be interesting to see

If you go into the product section and read my thread on my 9 x 4 there's a pic of the finished tank it will be delivered on saturday.

So how long has your 2.5ft jack been in a 8x2 for sound a bit mean seeing how hard it would be to turn around

The jack has.been in an 8 x 2 for about 4 years he's 8 years old now, we got him in 03 when he was 5cm long. Why do u think its mean I have seen jacks that are spose to be 14 years old stuck in a 4fter that's mean, in pet shops.

Edited by cleobhp

I agree jacks in a small tank is mean but people are giving it to this member for wanting to put what he said was a legal size 35 cm jack in a 8x2/8x3 tank. You have a 2.5ft jack in a 2ft wide tank and it's been in there for some time now. good for you on getting a bigger tank he or she needs it about time but if you can do it for four years that means this member has plenty of time give it up we all know your getting a monster tank nothing saying he won't at a later date.