Hi Everyone,

I have been on this site for just over a month now and I thought it was about time that I showed you my display tank. It is an African cichlid tank but you will notice that I have an american in there as well (Herichthys carpintis - Green Texas Cichlid). He came to be there as a result from both me breaking a golden rule and not doing any research before purchasing him and also a little bit of misleading information from the bloke at the lfs. However at the moment he is living with his Ph level at the max he can tolerate but seems to be thriving. He is growing at a fast rate and his colouring is beautiful. He really is the boss of the tank but he seems to only exercise that right at feeding time and they all seem to get along fine for the most part. Everything else you see in the tank has come from the great people on this site including fish, rocks and substrate as well as one of my filters. Anyway enjoy :)

Edited by dnjglover2111

Guest Kamfa

i really would not suggest putting a carpintis in with africans, both of them require completly different water chemistry. The carpintis may seem like the boss of the tank now, but as soon as he gains some size to him, he will become big and bulky that will also make him slow, i have made this mistake myself, by mixing african and american cichlid's. i underdstand that sometimes we can be mislead by the people at the lfs. care to say which store? just keep an eye on them, i has a 35cm red devil with 5 mainganos in a 5ft, he was killed, i didnt realise at the time to, untill it was to late. just try to get him out of there as soon as possible, but thats my advise, if your happy with him in there keep him in there, just be prepared for the worst.

Thanks for your reply and your advice Kamfa. I totally understand and agree with what you're saying and I realise for his own good that he can't stay in my tank, as much as I would like to keep him as he is a beautiful fish and it will be a real shame to get rid of him as he has grown on me quite a bit. I have lined up a good friend who is going to take him off my hands as he is setting up a 6ft American tank. So he will be leaving for a new home in about six months time. If he starts getting attacked or shows signs of stress before then than I will try to get rid of him on this site or down at my lfs.

Cheers :)

Guest Kamfa

he should be quite big in six months time haha, what you could do is loo in the dry goods section on this forum and find a cheap 4x2 and he could go in there, probably by himself, teas can get quite agressive but at 12" i dont see why you would want anything else in the tank, you already have a masterpeice. and if it comes down to it dont take i tto your lfs, sell it on this forum! then you know it will go to a good home, and not some snot nosed kid that will chick it in a fish bowl with goldfish. and stave it to death, or with incompatible tankmates. what lfs is it mate?

thanks

The lfs that I got the Green Texas from was Gold Coast pet Centre in Burliegh. I am not naming them to shame them as they are a really good pet store, one of the best I seen on the In my area of the Gold coast. I still visit them often as they have a good range of aquarium products and usually pretty helpful. Guess in this case I just didn't know the right questions to ask due to my own lack of knowledge and experience at the time when I bought him.