dutchie

Best Cichlids To Breed?

Hey everyone. I'm still only new to cichlids but i have had a breeding pair on sunrise hybrid peacocks for about 2 months and have realised thet hybrids are not to popular to be able to sell.

I also have other peacocks in my main tank but dont really thing i would like to breed any of them. i have a male Dimidiochromis strigatus that looks pritty good and would not mind breeding him but its been pritty hard trying to find a female.

So what im asking is what do yous thing about the strigatus? and aslo what other cichlids would be a good idea for breeding?? :confused:

Guest Kamfa

x2 i agree on the frontosa, not texas, to many fry!

festae would be rewarding and bring in some money, red head tapjos? (i think thats how you spell it)

trimac aswell, there not to common on here, so should shot from ya in a sec!

before everyone gets ahead of themselves, what is your setup to breed these fish in... it is important to consider the environment the fish will be contained before selecting a species.... once we know your tank sizes we can then move forward in pointing out a few species that will give you enjoyment in watching and challenges in breeding. But remember this is a hobby and not a cashcard... if you can neutralise your expenses your doing well.....

i think i like the Frontosa idea but not sure how they would go in my tank or breeding hapits for them.

i have a 4 foot tank with 7 peacocks assorted types, 1 Haplochromis Mbwannae, 1 Haplochromis Sunset, 1 Yellow Tail Acei, 1 young Protomelas not sure on type, 3 jewels not sure on type and 2 clown loach.

i aslo have a small 40l tank for when the female is ready to spit the fry and a 100l tank to grow them out. hope that is big enough.

and im not look to make money just a hobby that is not going to cost me a fortune.

for fronnies I reckon your would need at least a 4x2x2. If you wanted to do something with a smaller tank, why not look into some Altolamprologus, Julidochromis and Tropheus . you wouldnt be able to have a large colony, but if you set the tank up right you could have a really nice little setup. I dont believe that a 40L tank would be suitable for a fronnie fem that was holding, but 100L would be alright for a growout with regular water changes.

The setup of the tank would be really cheap with just white sand and some nice rocks that are quite easily obtainable from a landscaper for a few bucks.... just paint the back wall of the tank black and it will look a thousand bucks.... Buy the fish small from a breeder if you can instead of a shop or find someone on here that can ship via AAE as that will still be cheaper than getting them from a LFS, this way you can watch them grow, pair up and breed.

I am positive that most Frontosa breeders on here will recommend that size tank I have specified or larger.

yeah im thinking frontoza might be out. also i was hopind to keep my other fish in the 4 foot tank and add a breeding pair to it. is this not a good idea or would the 100l tank be enough for a small colony?

im leaning towards some kind of tropheus at this stage just because they are mouthbrooder, seems like you loose to many fry any other way. and i dont know why but they seem to be popular, i just dont see it, i guess im just more amused by bright colours :)

i also like the Altolamprologus idea but not sure about how they would be in my tank