scuba16

I want some corals

was wanting some advice on some corals, where to buy from and what sort. I want to try an something that is going to be hardy as won't have chiller until possibly summer this year but was going to get something now that temp is staying down and winter is coming. did want an anemone for my clowns but understand they can be a little territorial and i have a small tank. Also the tank has the built in lights, 4 tubes 2 normal and 2 blue lights. So is this going to be enough light.

The only place that i've been looking at is pet city and prices generally started at $30. is this good, is there another LFS you would reccomend. Was hoping to pick up some freebies on live rock but everything looked pretty clean.

Thanks

Scuba

ok, just had a read on liveaquaria.com and it says that polyps and mushrooms are easy'ish. the LFS in ipswich has a tank similar to what i have besides a chiller with these two, but with different types of mushrooms.

Eagle%20eye%20lg.jpg

p-84237-mushroom.jpg

ok DDF but price wise where do you think i should go, come see you or is there some other good marine LFS's, will be checking out atlas aquariums, and am i looking at about $30 bucks a pop? lastly i forgot to mention i have a dwarf bi-colour angel in the tank, may have a nibble.

Looks like you got a good starting point mate. I buy all my corals through Pet city, always offer great advice and their prices are quite reasonable. Just start off with some morphs and jardini maybe a small hammerhead or torch, duncans are always a safe choice too. But yeah I would be heading off to pet city they'll give much better advice than I can lol

i absolutely love pet city, spend ours in there looking at their marine setup's and never buy anything (so probably owe them some buisness), they have a really nice looking ray with blue spots atm. Was just wondering about prices because the corals are new to me. Also, should i stay clear of anemones for now?

list i'm checking out looks like

mushrooms

jardini

duncans

polyps

Edited by scuba16

Your list seems pretty spot on for someone starting out, you will get the feel for it. Looking at your pic you appear to have a similar set up to myself if not the exact tank :) . In small reef tanks I believe stay clear of anenomes but thats just my personal opinion.

anemones are pretty hard to keep alive, well except aptaisia anyway

actually zo's are colonial anemone so I'd say give them a go first

as far as costs go it all depends on sizes

If ya can make it in on a friday, we tend to be well stocked in marine

a small sinularian might set ya back close to $30, and ya can get some stunners

they also grow nice and fast

morphs/mushrooms are sold by the morph

but tend to multiply

as do zo's

jardini and duncan are pretty tough

but grow slow

they look like anemone tho

and dont move around lol

so good in a small tank

my advice is to take it slowly mate

start with the toughest

and slowly move up

dont just buy anything

be very selective

it will work out cheaper

and more enjoyable for you

ok thanks all for your advice, i still have heaps of reading to do before i go buy, will probably play around with live rock as well before i put some corals in. looking at getting mushrooms first and will visit pet city next friday, get the day off for ippy show.

If it was me I would stick to soft corals. If your after a rough price on corals befre you commit to buy then check outthe online shops that way you have a starting point. Remembering the shipping cost though. Also look at morphs and zoas. Just a question but how much live rock do you have in there and what is your display water volume? Also how many watts per galon do you have?

hey florix, yeah was going to stick with soft corals, i've read that hard corals are a heap harder to keep. i've done a little research in regards to price, mainly through my LFS and pet city and have looked a little on some online stores. online stores are heaps cheap but as you said postage gets ya unless your spending big. like i've done with everything in the tank, slow and steady. so i'm wanting to add little by little so will find a good store and purchase probably 1 piece every few months (more if i had cash).

to answer your question, its about a 54 *54 * 38 so 110L, have 20+kg of live rock. and 4 tubes into the 2 bracket things, on the bracket it says 24 watt and i'm hoping that is per tube and at 10 000k. the sump runs along the back of the tank is roughly 10cm wide, has ceramic rings, filter media, phosphate pads and bio balls heater and skimmer. I also have a 3000 L/h power head in there. based on that what do you think? i've heard that with a lot of these all in one tanks sometimes you need to upgrade filter and lighting.

Replacing the globes in the lighting every 6 to 12mths would be a good idea as they lose their intensity with age. Of course if your corals don't look to be suffering, then go longer as they not that cheap to replace.

hey florix, yeah was going to stick with soft corals, i've read that hard corals are a heap harder to keep. i've done a little research in regards to price, mainly through my LFS and pet city and have looked a little on some online stores. online stores are heaps cheap but as you said postage gets ya unless your spending big. like i've done with everything in the tank, slow and steady. so i'm wanting to add little by little so will find a good store and purchase probably 1 piece every few months (more if i had cash).

to answer your question, its about a 54 *54 * 38 so 110L, have 20+kg of live rock. and 4 tubes into the 2 bracket things, on the bracket it says 24 watt and i'm hoping that is per tube and at 10 000k. the sump runs along the back of the tank is roughly 10cm wide, has ceramic rings, filter media, phosphate pads and bio balls heater and skimmer. I also have a 3000 L/h power head in there. based on that what do you think? i've heard that with a lot of these all in one tanks sometimes you need to upgrade filter and lighting.

Hi Scuba I have the exact same tank as you, is your the aqua world or Orca one? The best thing I ever did was ditch the small crappy skimmerthat did nothing, upgrade it to a tunze 9002, modify the hood so the cup would fit and cut the magnet off the skimmer. Its the only decent skimmer that will fit in that sump. Ditch the mechanical filtration and add bio filtration I just run heaps of live rock.

Ok so you have about 3W per galon, that amount of light should be fine for soft corals but probably not suit hard corals to much as you need closer to 5W so later on down the track you may want to modify your lighting. The other main thing with SW is phosphate, you need 0. I would mod the HOB sump in a way that removes the bioballs and also any pads/wool because you will be changing/cleaning them every week or you will end up with terrible algae problems. It's always hard starting with a small set up as things can wrong quick due to water volume. If you change the sump set up everything should be fine and you will see great results with all the types of coral mentioned and zoas and morphs. This is just my opinion though and everybody has theirs. Not many people run the type of sump you explained anymore, it can still be done just requires alot more maintaince. If you want help modding then pm me and I am happy to explain in depth. I would be careful with the punt of LR you have in there as it's really at maximum amount. You will need to watch your water movement so poop doesn't stay stagnant and creat all types of problems. It's sounds like a neat little system. Be careful with some LFS (not bad mouthing anybody) some don't keep things long because they move things fast. Others use very similar ethics to fresh which can create problems others are just 15-16 year olds who work there on the weekends. Usually if they have a coral display tank and it looks 'amazing' so to speak then you can have faith

HTH

Deeg, mine is the aqua one, and yeah the skimmer looks as if it does nothing but does pick up some crap in the bottom. but yeah i'm holding off at the moment because i'm trying to eliminate all the phospate in the system and florix you mentioned about fish poo and water flow, i think this might be my problem. so i'm going to play around with the live rock before this friday and then head into suss out first coral. will most likely instead get a water test kit because i'm starting to no trust mine. i'm using API, has told me that i've never had nitrites or nitrates in the tank.

I've found while doing a clean and water change, a blood worm in the substrate and what looks like little 5mm baby ones. i can only imagine that these are nasty to have in the tank. has anyone else had this?

not a good night, power head stopped working but got it going and i broke a clip on the hood where it connects to the tank. so new purchase order: phosphate test kit, power head and then possibly some zoa's if there's money left over.