so tonight I recievedmy order of metronidazole. now im unsure of what dosage to give my sick discus fish. on the packet it says metronide metronidazole 400mg. each tablet contains metronidazole 100mg. and i have 21 tabs.

my tank holds 75L of water.

does anyone know how much i should add. or if any1 has had use with this product that can help me.

thank you

alyce

I have only ever heard of this used this for tropheus and at that rate it is used at 1 tablet (100mg of active ingredient) in every 12-15L from what I have seen.

After a quick net search I have found that for discus the prescribed dosage is 6mg/L dosage of active ingredient from what I can tell

Have a look here:

Discus Forums :: View topic - Metronidazole Dose

Is there not dosage instructions on the packet?

HTH

cheers

kadango

400mg/40L

Dose every 8 hours (3 times a day) with 25% WC each day for 4 days.

this came off that forum u gave me..i txted the dude who gave me the tabs and he said pretty much the same thing to me. and no there is no dosage rate on the packet becuase i didnt get it from a vet lol

thank you =]

alyce

easy way never give discus worms to eat they are to prone to get or infested with worms or parasites only ever gave worms as a treat when i wanted them to start breeding
hex is naturally occuring in the bowel of a lot or ornamental fish species and only becomes a problem through stress. it is not introduced through worm feeding. many mistruths in the hobby i guess.

some interesting reading VM67/VM053: Management of Hexamita in Ornamental Cichlids

Only ever had problems feeding bloodworm. NEVER again. I dont know a breeder that does feed bloodworm either.......Hmmmmm I wonder why? ;?

you know bloodworms are irradiated....right? not questioning your opinion or experience but it does seem like the flagelletes would have to be bullet proof......that and the fact the fish allready contains the parasite before the feeding of bloodworms. JMHO........i could be wrong ;)

Food irradiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

well i feed all my fish bloodworms including my other discus fish. my other discus fish dont have this problem and they breed like crazy lol but they always end up eating their eggs. so i dont no if it is the bloodworms. becuase they r frozen dosent that mean that all germs r killed off?

personally i think they are hard work for the fish to digest for very little nutrition. Just because someone states that something is irradiated, doesn't mean it is. can you prove/disprove that they are/aren't just by looking at them? Is there a way to test that they have been irradiated? Not saying they ARE bad, Just saying fish dont do well on them, seems all too coincedental to me. Freeze dried Blackworms are a much better option IMHO as they are more nutritious and removes all doubt about parisites etc once freeze dried. I Dont like to gamble with fish worth a few hundred each. Great foods for Discus-cherry shrimp, brine shrimp, earthworms, guppies, beefheart mixture, seafood mixture, Freeze dried Blackworms, And a decent pellet or flake.

Edited by rex82

yeah i feed them brine shrimp and tetra bits. so looks like im going to go and buy some frozen blackworms.. and can i get earthworms from my garden? do i have to freeze them or something or just feed them to my discus live haha?

ok lol i might go worm hunting today. and get some blackworms down the track..do you think it would be a good idea setting up a tank and breeding cherry shrimp? or are they pretty cheap these days to buy

personally i think they are hard work for the fish to digest for very little nutrition. Just because someone states that something is irradiated, doesn't mean it is. can you prove/disprove that they are/aren't just by looking at them? Is there a way to test that they have been irradiated? Not saying they ARE bad, Just saying fish dont do well on them, seems all too coincedental to me. Freeze dried Blackworms are a much better option IMHO as they are more nutritious and removes all doubt about parisites etc once freeze dried. I Dont like to gamble with fish worth a few hundred each. Great foods for Discus-cherry shrimp, brine shrimp, earthworms, guppies, beefheart mixture, seafood mixture, Freeze dried Blackworms, And a decent pellet or flake.

i see the point your making but its actually australian law that all imported pet foods are irradiated (ecept cat food i believe) before being released for sale. i have no proof either way other then what is stated by law HTH

Edited by tuffy_rana

i see the point your making but its actually australian law that all imported pet foods are irradiated (ecept cat food i believe) before being released for sale. i have no proof either way other then what is stated by law HTH

Thanks mate, I'll still play on the safe side :)