hey a mate of mines 6ft just busted a silicon seal and flooded his house. he lives on the north coast of nsw and was wondering how much it would cost him to get it re siliconed does anyone have any idea what $$ he is looking at and if summerland aqauriums do tank repairs

cheers

ask around glaziers to see if any one uses bostik/rhodasil V2. this stuff is the go but is usually only available by the box. you need to find someone who uses it and can sell you a few tubes ( about $10each). if you hack out the silicone a glazier will run the silicone for you with the offer of cash for his time. V2.

cheers.

Hi All,

I don't know if you guys have ever attempted to pull apart a 6 footer but I have and it took forever. Literally i spent over 2 months removing the silicon and cleaning it all off before I could re-silicon it. I have the industrial silicon used to do big tanks but it's a lot of work.

My recommendation is to sell the tank cheap and get another one, unless you have heaps of time on your hands. I use Dow Corning 999A for the bigger tanks.

I hope that helps. If you want more information on how to pull it apart, pm me.

cheers,

dan

Well most tanks only leak in 1 spot unless its cracked

So if the rest of the seal is good i would only remove the one bad side

I did this to a 3 foot the end was brocken it only took an hour to remove the old glass . clean and replace the glass

Just get a good sealer the cheep 1 from bunning will not hold for a tank over 3 foot

Roo

as some will know I have an 8x2x2 which decided to leak on xmas day at a rate of a few litres per hour. the seal had gone along most of the length of the bottom rear. rather than pull the tank apart I put in strips of 1omm glass ( same thickness as sides & base) about 60mm wide glue to base and sides so was doing the job that base would be doing as far as sideward pressure on walls go and sealing. to remove old silicone inside and clean and glue glass in and reseal took 2 hours and 3 tubes. we did front, rear and sides with new glass strips glue to base and sides as well as reseal vertical corners while tank was dry and while we were glueing made sense to do the lot. if you're confident running silicone you could do a 6footer on your own in an afternoon. if not, do as I did, give some cash to a glazier for a couple of hours labour.