marbles

Sumps does KISS reign supreme here as well ??

I just finished my sump last weekend with the help of efc ... We went with a KISS strategy ... One big chamber layered as follows:

Dacron - easy and cheap to replace

Sponge - 10cm thick for mech filtration

Jap Mat - Bio and some mech as well

Thin Dacron thing - Use for "polishing" if anything gets through

Bio Balls - Bio Filtration

My theory - As long as the water passes through the media your on a winner ...

Hey Hamza,

Nice diagram I'm in the same boat just rigged up my own sump and just curious do you think you will have many dead spots with that design?

I finished mine with a similar design and found the the chambers fill up in one motion and then you're not really getting a great amount of flow "through all" the media...

SUMP1.jpg

I'm tossing up chaning my sump to this to force the water to go through the sump in the deisred flow direction (if that even makes sense).

SUMP2.jpg

Any thoughts?

I didnt worry too much about the dead spots ...

I placed the media in in the openings / entrances / exits of the particular sections, so water is always flowing through ...

I also put a little gap / hole on the bottom of the small dividers, Its just big enough to allow water to flow through ... This sort of fixes the dead spot problem ... it also means that when i do a water change the water level drops right to the bottom instead of just above the small dividers ...means i can change more water ...

Its by no means the best design, its simple and i think efficient ...

matey

simple answer is YES

HELL YES

i have a old 2ft tank sumping my 4ft display water qlty is supreme, and it cost me like fiddy bucks to set up, its so basic peeps cannot believe its no butter

but honestly, yes, dont try to over complicate things, understand what your water is doing :) and it shall do it well for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ray

Kiss is the way to go. Most of my sumps consist of a bucket with holes drilled in it filled with noodles, clay ballls, volcanic rock and/or coral bits. Sitting on top the bucket is jap mat or sponge, scourers with fly screen to keep all the big stuff out to the bucket. In the tank out side the bucket is as much dacron as I can get in. (Never thrown any dacron away). Egg crate as a divider to stop dacron from getting sucked into the pump. Clean dacron in tank water once it gets over dirty (Once ever 3-4 months). If need be add more dacron.

Hey Hamza,

Nice diagram I'm in the same boat just rigged up my own sump and just curious do you think you will have many dead spots with that design?

I finished mine with a similar design and found the the chambers fill up in one motion and then you're not really getting a great amount of flow "through all" the media...

SUMP1.jpg

I'm tossing up chaning my sump to this to force the water to go through the sump in the deisred flow direction (if that even makes sense).

SUMP2.jpg

Any thoughts?

Hey 240,

Lift your media off the bottom of your sump with eggcrate, this will allow water to flow more freely then up threw more of your media. Even with your new design you will have dead spots in the front corners of the 2nd & 3rd compartment. I would place another baffle in your last compartment to maintain the operatting water level in compartment 3 (like in your first design) otherwise it will stay the same height when the pump draws it out possibly exposing media.

I would advise against submerging your bioballs though.

The main problem with submerged bio-balls is that they clog with biofilm and detritus very easy.

This gives rise to anoxic conditions and all round inefficient filtration, weather it is nitrification or denitrification. i see it all the time in Aquaculture systems, the bioballs clog, and then even denitrification is not not achieved at high rates.

In my experience be careful using dracon at the lower levels of your sump. The quicker it dirtys and clogs the more water build up you will get in your first chamber.

Its a catch 22 really as where Hamz has suggested it be located is the ideal spot. never place it first, it will catch everything and be filthy dirty and blocked in no time.

Basicly rendering the rest of your media "noneffective" due to %80 of your mech filtration being thrown or washed away.

Edited by FIIK