Deeg

How to Use Matrix

Hey Everyone

Having never used Matrix before I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to how it is used. Do I just add it to a section of the sump or does it have to be put in filter bags. I have just ordered 4L of the Seachem Matrix from the reef shop.

Cheers

Deeg

Hey Deeg,

You can use a bag or bagless ;) I've got 22L of it just sitting in one compartment of my sump (have had a couple peices float over to the next but not worried). It will take about 1month for the bacteria to fully stabilise in the new media, just makesure it stays submerged :)

To you the Matrix you have to clear your head and believe you can jump threw walls ..... Ok seriously.

Its just like noodles or anything else, just give it a wash and chuck it in your filter, not near impellers.

Smellsfishy means you can just grab the bag instead of scooping up all the little stones when moving it from place to place ;) Matrix is one of the best porous materials around for filter media :) PM Russ at Redlands Petcentre for the best prices around

Matrix is an awesome media, but i definitely recommend bagging it, 1. for ease of moving it, and 2 because it can have small pieces chip off and end up in the pump .

Oh I thought Grum and David were saying it was crap, I have always read that it was a great filter media. Rito sounds like I will bag it, just use media bags? 22Ls of matrix thats shitloads, how big is the setup Merkinater

It's a 4'x18"x18" sump, I have Jap Mat in the bottom of each compartment so I don't have to worry bout it getting to the pump as it's in the 2nd compartment. I will add more photos n details to Sump Pics Thread once I find my camerra (I hate moving houses!)

Bet your nitrate doesn't get real high? I am in the process of finding media bags online (because I live in the middle of nowhere without any LFS) and the only ones I can find are from the reef shop and they are sold out of the 2L ones, any ideas where I could get hold of some?