Azz

high protein diet

Guest Kamfa

hey Azz

i feed my americans on a high protein diet, they grow super fast and they seem to enjoy it XD but a complete protein diet isnt good! what you should do if you are thinking of a high protein diet, to mix things up a little is to mix in some hikari cichlid gold, every other day for some variety and for other elements that your cichlids need for colour.

hope this helped

kamfa

Yes and no

I'm a firm believer that a mixed diet is the best thing for them

So yes in feeding them a high protein pellet

But No in solely feeding them it

As kamfa said mix it up a bit,

And I'm pretty sure with larger Americans if solely fed it may lead to dieases such as hith and LLE

Cav

some cichlids have adverse affects to diets too high in protein. i know that both texas and rivs are quite susceptible to getting large red sores (protein sores) from very high protein diets while things like oscars and p bass show no bad form but grow incredible fast. just my experience and very high protein dieats are a bad idea for african cichlids also HTH

i used to feed my devil lamb liver and what not in the mornings just little chunks and then pellets at night and any lamb it didnt eat just scoop out with the net when i got home from school :D he was happy grew from 1.5"-10" within about 8M the right diet and a big enough tank they willgrow phenomenally quick :D it will surprise you :D

i used to feed my devil lamb liver and what not in the mornings just little chunks and then pellets at night and any lamb it didnt eat just scoop out with the net when i got home from school :D he was happy grew from 1.5"-10" within about 8M the right diet and a big enough tank they willgrow phenomenally quick :D it will surprise you :D

yeah problem is the right diet dont include lamb ;) you can feed ox heart regularly aswell and growth is a phenom but the fishes digestion is not designed for the high fat content that land animal protein has and can actually lessen the fishes lifespan drastically HTH

yeah problem is the right diet dont include lamb ;) you can feed ox heart regularly aswell and growth is a phenom but the fishes digestion is not designed for the high fat content that land animal protein has and can actually lessen the fishes lifespan drastically HTH

I'll agree that we can disagree on that one. That arguement has been flogged many a time.

I'll agree that we can disagree on that one. That arguement has been flogged many a time.

what he said i know a guy that fed his jd lamb liver and ox heart it got about 14" except he was a crazy fish fanatic and i swear he must ahve used something else his jd was called jack ill see if i can get a pic off him but yeah jack the jd lived for 12 years then died in transport while moving from nsw to here the guy had to move for work was a monster of a fish though ! i know people will knock it anyway but hey whatever i eat my fish normally get a bit ;) my devil used to go nuts when he saw me with a V can bit in there he was a happy fella :D

See what you can find out about their diet in the wild, then try to replicate it with local ingredients where possible. (For example, if it eats mostly crustaceans, you should be able to accommodate that... if it is largely vegetarian, you may cause problems by feeding high amounts of animal protein but should be able to provide sufficient vegetable content). If you are feeding commercial foods, you can always check the ingredients list to see what's in there.

Good luck with your research :)

yup, its all opinion based like everything (well most things) in the hobby. ultimately we can only put across opinion.....its the only thing thats truely yours/mine/ours. i do notice however that all major fish pellet manufacturers use no land animal protein in their pellets (even grobest native pellets for this matter) despite offal being very cheap as a source of meal. again just their opinion i guess, but as you said its a well flogged debate of sorts so needs not be revisited i guess ;)