woodie03

look what we built

nice job on your first, one..... I am guessing thats a 6x2. personally I think the box type are better than the sloping... look better and your partner will love it cause she can clutter the top with photos etc. If you want some help on a redesign just let me know and i can work it all our for you incl a cutting list.

I'm not a sparky and got a friend to wire this one up but he showed me how to wire one up for next time. Easy as...

The light is fitted to the part right at the back so it is tilted in rather than just being shining straight down. Being single batton, it lights up my 6 x 2 x 2 quite well. I was pleasantly surprised. Now all I need to complete my tank is a uv sterilizer - I'm saving up the bottle caps unless someone wants a hood. I'd be happy to build one like the one pictured and do an even swap???

Use stainless screws next time, and if you really want a challenge, concealed screwing. Next hood I do will be built using that method. I might even be looking into dovetails as it will be an all hardwood hood. 22mm thick timber. gonna be some hard dovetails to do...

nice job on your first, one..... I am guessing thats a 6x2. personally I think the box type are better than the sloping... look better and your partner will love it cause she can clutter the top with photos etc. If you want some help on a redesign just let me know and i can work it all our for you incl a cutting list.

Thanks mate but I got rid of the partner ages ago so the sloping hood works great lol

Its all good but thanks for your help. I kinda enjoy playing around in my shed. Occasionally something comes out of it that actually looks ok and somewhat resembles what I had in mind lol

I'll make another one which will look heaps better. But I do like my design

Do you own a planer mate. If you do that would solve your problem.

Just back plane the lid under the hinges.

You could over hang the timber on the top and the lid a bit from the sides and just sand a little aris on it.

I have made both angle and flat.

I like the flat better but i have the angled one on my tank upstairs to stop the mrs putting photo's and crap on there.

Would hate to move all that stuff to feed every day.

Throw some stain and polish on it and job done.

JP=)

Do you own a planer mate. If you do that would solve your problem.

Just back plane the lid under the hinges.

You could over hang the timber on the top and the lid a bit from the sides and just sand a little aris on it.

I have made both angle and flat.

I like the flat better but i have the angled one on my tank upstairs to stop the mrs putting photo's and crap on there.

Would hate to move all that stuff to feed every day.

Throw some stain and polish on it and job done.

JP=)

Thanks Jaypee - I'm not sure I could do anything as good as what I've seen you put out but I do like to play around in my shed. I don't have a planer yet but would like to get one down the track. I can see where it will come in handy.

Also is there a way I can make putty by using the sanding dust? Yes I'm a cheap skate lol

very nice Joel for your next hood try and do a colonial hood thats my specialty doing that style but the one you just done is good and that is a very good idea with the light switch

Thanks Nev, I'll leave the colonial look to you mate. I've seen your work too and couldn't match it.

No one has commented on my idea of the back part. The light is attached to it which tends to point the light in toward the centre of the tank rather than the light beaming straight down.

Comments from the experts - Jaypee, Blackraven, Mackayman? any other people who do this for a living?

I don't know what sort of tools you have. But a router and an electric plane , even a hand plane could go a long way. It would look much nicer with the top aligning so there isn't gap. Also known as laminating. A piano hinge might do what your after as well. If your planning on making a few I could draw you up some designs or if you need any help in regards to making it more aesthetically pleasing feel free to pm me. Not picking on you just some constructive criticism

Mate for what your doing just buy a cheapo planner.

It'll do the same job pretty much.

No use paying top dollar for something that you only use here and there.

I used to to do in school. Scrape the dust into a pile add some glue.

Won't gaurantee what it'll look like.

But give it a shot. Just put the screws in from the inside next time problem solvered.

I'm thinking of re doing my 6 ftr stand upstairs.

I've got some ideas going on so will see what i come up with.

=)

I don't know what sort of tools you have. But a router and an electric plane , even a hand plane could go a long way. It would look much nicer with the top aligning so there isn't gap. Also known as laminating. A piano hinge might do what your after as well. If your planning on making a few I could draw you up some designs or if you need any help in regards to making it more aesthetically pleasing feel free to pm me. Not picking on you just some constructive criticism

This is the prototype and is not the finished product. Just knocked it up to see what it would actually look like. The main thing I wanted to check out was the slanted part at the back for the light.

I don't want a long piano hinge but just bigger hinges of the same variety. The gold hinges match the stand. I'd also look for a gold coloured switch - This is also an idea I have not seen before and wanted to see how it would look - I'm pleasantly surprised with my design

Now onto the proper product. Of course the ends will be one piece and won't have extra pieces to make up the length

Mate for what your doing just buy a cheapo planner.

It'll do the same job pretty much.

No use paying top dollar for something that you only use here and there.

I used to to do in school. Scrape the dust into a pile add some glue.

Won't gaurantee what it'll look like.

But give it a shot. Just put the screws in from the inside next time problem solvered.

I'm thinking of re doing my 6 ftr stand upstairs.

I've got some ideas going on so will see what i come up with.

=)

would love to see it JP. Your work is exceptional. I'll get myself a plane - I'll try with a hand plane but not sure my bad shoulder will enjoy the manual labour. I also want to plane the front edge so the gap from the lid to the frame diminishes.

Yeah bugger the dust thing lol, I think I'll grab some putty lol - but I did recall it from my school wood working days. So you mix it with glue...

I know the bits I can do to make it look better. Planing the edges will help but Jaypee, how do I stop the lid from warping?

I reckon make the back of it square.

But put some angle blocks in there to fix your light to. ( basically triangles )

Then your light will still be on an angle like you want it to be.

If you buy putty it should be ready to use.

Seeing as i do a fair bit of timber work i have all different colour putty depending on what timber or finish it will be.

Timber isn't hard to keep straight if you know what your doing if not it can be a bastard.

If it is straight a good seal on both sides will stop it from cupping.

I'll get some picks of my hood and throw them up here for you.

=)

What is a good sealer to use? The next one i make will be the one I use permanently.

May I also ask why you advise to keep the back square rather than slanted down? I thought this would help limit natural light coming in from the back - Where my tank is i need to do everything I can to reduce natural light - Most comes in through the back. That's why I'm using coolite behind the tank. I also thought of putting higher pieces to block the back totally. I also like the height of my hood - its a bit higher than ones I've seen. I can use glass lids as well so this will hopefully reduce evaporation. When I fix the leak totally, I'll also have lids on the sump.

It all comes back to personal preference as to what you like.

I like square.

I put a back piece in my hood then just cut holes for cords and pipe etc.

The hood on my 6 ftr is nice and high.

I use Mirotone sealer and top coat. I mainly use 30% gloss but sometimes use 60%. 100% gloss is way to shinny for me.

You definatly need lids on your tank other wise the timber will suck up that moisture and cup like anything.

Ok So just varnish won't be enough to seal the timber?

I like the height of my hood so that lids can be used - The hood on my last tank was too low. lids couldn't be used.

I think I'll stick with the slanted back....I rewired the light to run the wire through the end rather than out the back. Made it easier for me to mount on the timber.

What price r u looking at for end product woodie, thinking i'd like to give it a go 4 my tank. Will u save much $$ or is it 4 the pride of doing it yourself mate.. Btw like ur design...

May need a small tub of putty.

Other than that i think that'll keep you out of trouble.

When is the build happening ?? Tomorrow ??

I'll start building my next one next week - I'll spend some time with it to make it look really nice.

What price r u looking at for end product woodie, thinking i'd like to give it a go 4 my tank. Will u save much $$ or is it 4 the pride of doing it yourself mate.. Btw like ur design...

Well, Let me send you a photo of the one I make next week. It will be virtually the same but without the gaps lol. Hmm will have to work out a price if there's a demand lol

Seriously though, if you want one then let me finish the next one and I'll see - but I am enjoying the fun I'm having by saving money for myself