steve6610

Kribensis Colony advice needed

i have several kribs, these are from 3 or 4 different places, i've got them in a community tank and will be moving them into their own tank next week,

my question is can i keep 6 or 7 females with 2 or 3 males, or do i need to pair them up, also do they like living together in a breeding group, or will i have to seperate the pairs when they are ready to breed,

the tank is 3ft x 15 x 18, i will have lots of hidy places, and heaps of fake plants,

when and if i get eggs or fry, can they stay in the same tank, or will they get eaten,

i'm using a mixture of rain water and town water, tank is cycling now,

cheers,

steve and jules............

They will always pair up and don't breed in harems like africans (even though they are africans).

Best solution is to separate pairs as they pair up or they will cause carnage to others when breeding.

They are good parents but to achieve the best ratio of fry survival remove after a week or so.

Dave

Kribs are not Rift Lake cichlids.....they don't form breeding colonies

Best let them pair up.....then give the pair you chose to breed their own tank

In most cases they are great parents

Kribs don't need special water chemistry.....their cousins P taeniatus do....they must have soft water

thanks for the quick replys, its about what i was thinking,

we are emptying out our 5ft display tank and refitting it out, so everything needs new homes until its finished, i'll put all the kribs into the 3ft tank until i can sort out a couple pairs,

i'm guessing a 2ft tank would be ok for a pair of kribs on their own,

Yep perfect size for breeding

Also the ph of the water has an affect on the ratio of males to females in the spawn

I have some red kribs which I keep in soft acidic water like my Americans and they love it

Hth

Cav

thanks cav and kev,

kev when you say neutral, how is this best achieved with out chemicals,

i was thinking 50-50 rain water to town water, or would 100% rain water be better,

cheers,

steve.........

Steve, it doesn't have to be neutral, just not too acidic or too alkaline.........two or 3 points either side has produced a decent ratio for me. My tank water is 6.5 (I thought it would be less, but it isn't, and rarely varies) and tap water 7.6 and 50/50 changes does it for me.

Also, I've found that if I leave the parents in for a good while, they grow quicker. If I move the parents out to a new tank, for some reason with the last two pairs, the females killed the males, despite being much smaller. May have been a one off, I don't know, but subsequently, when I've removed 'em, I've given them their own tank for a couple of days and then re-introduced the female to the male and they've bred again within a week.

Be prepared to have the fry tying up tanks as they're pretty slow growing.

kev

Edited by bidkev