You can see in the pic that my water is a greenish colour.

Will a UV sterilizer fix it?

My tank lives on my patio. I have a "curtain" hanging at the back of it and coolite against the glass. I have nothing on either end but am thinking of putting something on the right hand end (the outside end) to limit the light coming into the tank but most of the light comes in through the back. I raised the "curtain" today in the hope I have fixed the issue. Unfortunately the tank is not allowed inside.

001-5.jpg

All water tests are normal. The green colour has come in over the past couple of days - its virtually new water. stays clear for a day or 2 then goes this colour. I use tank water.

Hey Woodie,

Yes and no :)

The light and ambient temp when it was warmer cause the greenish tinge to the tank. I've run a large UVC on my 6ft and although a pretty good result, I actually found more success in playing around with filter medium. I now have a crystal clear tank without the UVC running anymore. Purigen, ChemiPure, Rowan Carbon or Bio Chem Zorb would certainly help out before going to the extra expense. The Chemi Pure Elite has an agent to combat red and green alge apparently, haven't tried this, only the standard.

You can also use a quality branded algae remover at a half dose to remove green tinge from the water.

What lights are you using above? Or is it just daylight?

Cheers

the light is on in that pic but its only 1 batton fluro white bulb (standard, not blue). During the day, the light is normally off and just sunlight is enough to light the tank

I didn't even think of purigen. Thanks. i'll grab some. What quanitiy do you recommend in my size tank. I am running about 800 litres including my sump

be wary of Purigen.

you need bleach to recharge it,

a cr@pload of Prime to neutralize it,

seachem discus buffer to remove its buffering properties or it will throw your PH way way way up.

all in all alot of hassle, expense and a big pain in the ass.

I personally use Macropore, does exactly the same thing... but without the expense or stuff around

How would a UV bulb go in my overhead light? Would that be of any help to me rather than a UV Sterilizer?

a uv bulb in an overhead light will actually increase algae growth as it would any plantlife. think of it this way. you can go out in the sun and survive the uv rays no probs, but could you survive them if all other light was removed and then the uv increased till super saturated ? its a form of radiation thats kills plant matter in large doses but aids in small ones. you wont need a steralizer as they effectively kill all living organisms that pass through them. you want a clarifier which works on a smaller scale in both wattage and speed so as to kill algae blooms (green water) but not bacteria and pathogens in the water column. HTH

batton fluro white bulb (standard, not blue).

What does it say on your fluro tube?

My water use to have a yellowish/greeb colour to it(similar to yours). I thought that the water was dirty, did heaps of water changes(Bad Idea I know) but it all resulted in nothing. Then My friend got my a new bulb Sylvania Aquastar""and like magic my water looked clear.

Have you taken any water of the tank and seen if the colour is still the same?

So I my guess it that your water is fine and it may be you bulb.

Photos of my Bulb in action http://www.qldaf.com/forums/product-diy-technical-discussion-11/sylvania-aquastar-t8-36w%3D-awesome-38388/

Edited by Dexter

Dexter,

You just wanted me to see your beautiful Oscar and make me cry and wonder why i sold mine - beautiful fish mate

And your water is very clear indeed. I have sylvania bulbs but they're white - I even think they're standard white house fluros - I'll get an aquastar T8 36w and see how I go. Any idea of what I should pay please

Are you sure the colour is not tannins leaching from the wood. And the tubes for uv sterilizers/clarifiers are uv-c tubes not just standard uv from a normal flouro. This is a special spectrum of uv which will kill pathergens, bacteria and and small parisites. Steve

Thanks Steve,

I'm positive there are no tannins leaching from the wood. The wood came from another forum user who had in his tank for ages with no discolouration in his water. Its from an algae bloom due to the location of my tank. The tank can't go anywhere else so this means the need for something to keep the algae out of my tank. I have limited the amount of light coming into the tank with a curtain at the back and coolite against the outside back wall of the tank. I have also put things around the tank to stop sunlight coming in (as cool and nice as it looks, I can't let it happen).

Thus the need for a UV Sterilizer or clarifier - I guess its now to work out which one I actually need. I don't want to kill all my good bacteria, so this means I should use a UV Clarifier?

Also as far as im aware a clarifier and sterilizer is the same product just marketed by different companies as different names ie clarifier for pond algae, sterilizer for aquarium. Steve

of course - how stupid of me lol - just bacteria that floats through the sterilizer will be affected which is the desired effect right?

So Steve are you saying a UV Sterilizer is what I need? If so what size should I get? I have seen there are different sizes and it's relatively important to get the right one for my tank.

I have a 6 x 2 x 2 + a 4 x 18 x 18 sump

Not to sure on size but the products will have a flow rate stated on the packaging, so it depends on how much flow you pump is going to put through it. As for weither its a sterilizer or clarifier, depends what brand you purchase. Tetra call theres clarifiers, jabeo call theres sterilizers, laguna call theres clarifier/sterlizers. Like I said same thing different name, clarifier refers to its ability to clear algae, sterilizer refers to its ability to kill bacteria and the likes. Steve

Thanks to you Steve, my head is now clearer than my tank lol...

I have just placed on order a 36w resun sterilizer/clarifer...After reading a little on this type I did notice that the wording does (as you say) come down to the brand. Sterilizer - clarifier - same thing - tomatoes - tomatoes - potatoes - potatoes.

Thanks everyone for your help..

In summary:

A UV Bulb in my overhead light won't do much because most of its effect is lost due to the distance from the water and what escapes out the back... Where a UV Sterilizer/Clarifier is concentrated and concealed in a unit where the water flows through the unit and around the UV bulb thus eliminating all floating bacteria such as algae.

How am I going so far?

My bulb was given to me. But I think they go for about 20 bucks at most fish shops.

Thanks teaser lol - I might invest in a UV bulb for the overhead anyway since they're not that much dearer than a normal white...Also I think they offer a better light than a plain white also it doesn't create any algae bloom...

Kind of right woodie a uv tube in a flouro light is normally consentrated in the 400-700 visable light wave links, these create no were near the radiation the under 400 wavelenghs create. Thank god for the ozone layer hey as it filters out most of the harmful uv rays.

Few pics for you

light_spectrum.jpg

uv-c_chart_big.jpg

Pic three are the spectrums used for photosynthies

photoSynActivity.jpg

they're nice and colourful pics Steve lol

Really you are starting to go over my head but I do understand - I'll grab the UV Sterilizer but I might just put a UV bulb in the overhead as well - that surely has to be better than a standard white fluro?