Bogan8r

White spot still..............

Hey guys

Need a little help. I bought some fish which introduced white spot to my tank. I have had the temp at 31 deg for 3 days and have been dosing protozin but it hasn't seemed to do anything. It was only my neons that had it at first but now it's affecting my firemouths and braziliences which are worth alot more so I'm more worried now. What else can I do???

Thanks guys

30% water change. keep temp up and try rapid whitespot remedy (formaldahyde) or promethyasul (antibiotics). and the addition of salt up to 3 grams per litre of water. white spot is very easily cured when done correctly and very persistant when treated wrong ;)

Aqua Master white spot remedy. My tank had white spot a while ago, started on my loaches they had it for two weeks before i looked closely and noticed it. Started off with a water change, had my temp sitting at a constant 28.5 degrees (ick (whitespot) cant live in warm temps) and followed the doasage on the bottle. Did this 2 days in a row and within 3 or 4 days the whitespot was gone.

My tank stays at 28 degrees now just to be safe.

I once got told that if you leave the light off and if the tank is anywhere but a dark spot to cover it with news paper, as the parasite or whatever it is would not be able to find the host..I did this with the addition of what tuffy said, ie temp up speads up the cycle and chems kill...and it was gone after a few days and has never returned. Hth Mat

I'm with Corbii.............Aqua master WS cure has never failed for me, even with the worst cases. It combines methylene blue with malachite green, which have ardent followers amongst the "old school". No need for anything else (salt not needed) ..............just a raise in temp.

kev

I bought the aqua master multi cure which treats white spot but I was told it's crap and it stains everything anyone else had this experience or would it be fine I have a 500ml bottle

Jack of all trades, master of none. Although I have used it successfully, I prefer to use "target specific" meds. If you look at the specs of muti cure, it's not too far removed from the white spot cure, if I'm not mistaken (from memory).

Anything with meth blue or malachite green will stain, but it's only temporary and thins out with water changes.

kev

What are your thoughts on triple sulphur tablets?
Like I say, I prefer "target specific" meds. I don't see the point in using meds that can (purportedly) cure a number of ailments when the fish is only suffering one ailment............just a "personal" thing when I consider how humans ailments have become immune to broad based antibiotics which are used to cure several conditions.

kev

really goes to show many people use many different treatments. i do what works. believe it or not heat does not kill the ich, it merely speeds up the life cycle so the meds can treat it. the life cycle is what needs to be understood of the target pathogen. salt will prevent the organism being able to multiply at a 0.3% solution (yes that amount of salt is correct lol). heat and salt alone will treat it (however of course some fish are less tolerable of the salt at this strength). formaldahyde or promethyasul (small amount of meth malachite green) have less chance of staining the silicone (a must for those with big dollar display tanks). ich can only be treated in the free swimming stage (tomites) and they are microscopic so cant be seen buy the naked eye. the "white spots" (trophonts) you see cant be treated. they are merely a "seed pod" that bursts out hundreds of tomites to re infest the fish. speeding up the life cycle gets them free swimming faster and hence the treatment works better/quicker. the salt prevents them being able to multiply because it collopses their cell walls and therefor does not allow cell division (reproduction) to occur. hope that made some sense :lol:

oh and potassium permanganate is a great killa of ich aswell because like salt it attacks the cell walls of the tomites and effectively prevents them multiplying ;)

Is potassium pernanganate safe for fish to swim in???? coz i have heard that its good for killing snails but i dont want to use it coz i thought i would have to take all the fish out of the tank.

Bryce

Is potassium pernanganate safe for fish to swim in???? coz i have heard that its good for killing snails but i dont want to use it coz i thought i would have to take all the fish out of the tank.

Bryce

yeah of course it is ;). its one of the earlier treatment methods known to aquarists. you want to add no more then to create a 2ppm mix in the aquarium though 6-10ppm baths are realitively safe for a very short bath for removing flukes and parasites HTH

I use whitespot treatments that focus mainly on malachite green for white spot.

bit of salt/melafix after 3 days to help fish wounds repair

yeah i think thats good advice. the op did use protozin with no real success but and whilst i could be wrong (mostly cause i dont use it) is'nt protozin malachite, formaldehyde, and copper sulphate ? all of which are pretty good ich killaz on there own ;) did you use protozin as per the directions? (shoulda been the first question i guess :lol:)