whiteknight

Tank mates for breeding convicts

Going for a display for my white convict breeding pair , tank is a 3 x 15 x 18 will be well planted wondering if anyone has ideas on what would mix with them ? I realise convicts are aggro at breeding times but they have always seemed to stay at one end and down low while breeding and as there fry grow , have had rainbows with them before at breeding times and they didnt seem to bother each other apart from the little nibble when the rainbows tried to eat there eggs not really fussed if the fry get eaten as you cant give them away :) ,i just like these fish so would like them to be in a nice display

Any ideas would help decide

Terry

get a ghost cray(not only does it clean the mess the fish may leave behind but it cleans the tank floor and it is a good looking addition :D) FMs are deffinately nice my stepdad had one they look nice without being too sooky but they dont cop POO from another fish and there not too big for a 3ft tank.

jd would work well but they can be sooky mine used to just sit in his little cave almost all day but the other side of that ive seen an incredibly big jd(mums mates) and the jd would bite your fingers off if you were too slow to put in his food bn or plecos are great additions to a tank they keep it clean they look different and there very active but they MAY eat your cons eggs. silversharks are dosile and also look nice and take a while to grow, clown loaches would also be good grow slowly but still look really good but there a bit iffy about ph when there small . just a thought :D ponder it for a while and tell us what you decide on :D

Im not a fan of having other fish in with breeding americans, no matter how big they are. Americans go skitso when breeding & will kill anything comming near their site or young!

Just my experience as I have lost a few large fish by thinking they would be outa harms way...

Good luck but. I do hope it can work out for you.

lol I am probably the only one here who would expect convicts to kill firemouths.

blue eyes, jack dempsey,

I'd actually prob grow up something nasty in their tank

take it out when it gets too big

veja or a wolf or something

problem is

ya put things that can handle themselves

and breeding convicts will fight with them

until they are dead

they dont back down

a big school of scissor tail rasbora would work well tho hey

even if they did kinda slowly vanish

other option is more convicts.........

Thanks , my original idea was to find something that would be more of an open water swimmer but yet not too small or weak they cant handle it if they get a nibble from the convicts , i have made there cave entrance long so they dont have a big open sight of the tank , bassically they have a tunnel to go in before there cave so they dont really see whats happening around them in the tank , will keep on reading & see what i come up with , atm JD's are up there on my list if i cant find a good open water swimmer

Terry

Def would only be going open water swimmers terry. I wouldnt give a jd or a firemouth long if in with breeding cons, they like the same territories and will cop a flogging from the cons. As dff said, some scissortail rasboras would look good. Also giant danios, maybe some monos or even archers, or stick with what you used to have, rainbows, there is plenty of types of rainbows out there and there are some truly sexy ones. Just think of fast open water fish and you will be right.