nativecollector

Look what I'm building... 2' Cube Cabinet

Whilst we're all doing the 'look at me and how good I am' threads, I thought I better join in and throw up some snaps of a little project of my own.

Keep in mind while viewing, I'm a draftie and this is my first attempt at building anything since I knocked together a wooden AK-47 (my pride and joy) when I was 8. I usually draw these things with no hope of making them. I'm reasonably happy with the progress, but lets be honest... it's a bit rough.

Materials:

15 odd metres of MGP10 90x35 and 70x35 - solid as a brick out house

A crud load of screws

Some 20 year old wood glue that was rather chunky

Coupla sheets of the thinnest and cheapest ply available

An veneered cupboard door the old man picked up on a reno

A door catch I flogged off the old ladies dresser (she still hasn't noticed)

Tank:

2x2x2 in 10mm glass, beveled edges, 3x35mm drilled holes

Sump & Plumbing:

$10 garbage bin from bunnings and some 77c buckets

2000L pump

25mm bulkheads and stainless strainers

PVC overflow

Poly inlet

PVC overflow

Lighting:

2' T5 lighting (4 tubes)

Now for the pics - constructive criticism welcome... It's not finished yet, still needs: sanding, painting, cleaning etc.

DSCF5543.jpg

SDC10004-3.jpg

SDC10001-2.jpg

SDC10046.jpg

Edited by nativecollector

don't mean to be picky mate but your tanks are back the front I think....The blue part and plumbing is supposed to go to the back not the front - Can't see your fish lol

Well done bud - Looks great

I'm really no builder or anything - I'm a cab driver. I honestly know nothing about making things but its all about having a go :)

don't mean to be picky mate but your tanks are back the front I think....The blue part and plumbing is supposed to go to the back not the front - Can't see your fish lol

Well done bud - Looks great

I'm really no builder or anything - I'm a cab driver. I honestly know nothing about making things but its all about having a go :)

Thanks mate, yeah it'll be nice to stand back when it's finished and to know how much works goes into these sorts of things. And it's better than buying a filthy looking stand from Aquariums R Ass. My theory is over-build things - get as much wood into it and make it as heavy as a container ship - that way, nothing will squash it... or move it ;)

The other setup is my bro's - finally convinced him to get some tanks, and he's put that setup together pretty cheaply.

Looks great, well done

Cheers bud.

I love looking at other peoples build threads.

Keep the pics coming mate.

Whats going in the black sump ??

Mine job is pretty embarrassing and sad compared to your work JayPee - you built that setup Nato had didn't ya? Top effort there....

I'll hopefully have it sanded back and painted by next Saturday - I lack motivation after work.

Gonna chuck a plastic divider about 3 quarters the way across the bin, all the way down (gap at bottom), then fill it with bio balls and some spongy stuff - nothing flash. Pump on other side of divider.

that looks excellent :)....will be so satisfying once its complete to have it all set up and functioning for everyone to look at :)

Thanks Relle, I think this setup might make it upstairs where general public (visitors) can view.

I do like that signature of yours - you'd be amazed how many times I've read it and felt like an idiot afterwards.

lol thanks lovey :)......i felt a bit left out not having a signature and so after googling i discovered this one and thought it was annoyingly amusing :D

go on read it again.....you know you want to....

i love simple sumps, i have an old 2ft tank as a sump on my 4ft display with some crap in it, best filter ever, cost me like 50 bucks all ups, :) nice build, love the cubes

Thanks mate, I reckon if it's not seen it doesn't need to look amazing, and if a simple sump does the same job as a complex one does, it's simple all the way. Plus a garbage big works well inside a stand 2x2x2.

that tanks looks familar ..good work ya just gave me an idea ill use bins as a sump

Best buy of my life Clayton, love the tank. Yeah, no chance of cracking or smashing a bin, boot 'em around, drop 'em and they're still as good as new.

That's a gnarly garbage bin sump. Musta cost you a fortune!

;)

Bin $10

5 buckets 77c each (not sure why I wanted them for the sump, but at 77c each it was too good to pass up)

Pump $25

Bio Balls $10

Filter Wool $5

That's a poor man's sump for you :D

Thanks mate, I reckon if it's not seen it doesn't need to look amazing, and if a simple sump does the same job as a complex one does, it's simple all the way. Plus a garbage big works well inside a stand 2x2x2.

Best buy of my life Clayton, love the tank. Yeah, no chance of cracking or smashing a bin, boot 'em around, drop 'em and they're still as good as new.

;)

Bin $10

5 buckets 77c each (not sure why I wanted them for the sump, but at 77c each it was too good to pass up)

Pump $25

Bio Balls $10

Filter Wool $5

That's a poor man's sump for you :D

OHHH thats freaking awesome!!!

Nice Estwing hammer too BTW too good for a draftie :P

OHHH thats freaking awesome!!!

Nice Estwing hammer too BTW too good for a draftie :P

Thanks mate... Yeah, I can't claim the Estwing, it's the old mans ;) That drop saw is the best thing since canned beans too...

Nice work mate, Looking real good. Post some more pics when its all hooked up.

Cheers, last coat of paint yesterday, all I need now is a piece of plastic wide enough to divide the bin and it should be up and running by the weekend. Any suggestions on a divider anyone? Might try a tip shop or something...

Bad lighting and a dirty/cheap camera make for some great shots, but here's an update...

Tank's dirty from sitting on the grass. Paint job on inside of cabinet is a bit slack, but hopefully I don't have to get in there too often.

SDC10044-1.jpg

SDC10042-2.jpg

SDC10040.jpg

SDC10039.jpg