Hi guys

I decided yesterday my next additions to my aquatic collection is gonna be motoro rays

Now I've been looking at getting a few of these for a little bit now but some of the info I've found about them doesn't match up to other stuff I've found

Ie. What size do they actually grow too? One person has told me females get to 2 ft and males are smaller and on a website I've read females can get upto 4-5ft across

So what I'm looking for is

A - what size do they actually grow to?

B - what width tank is best for them

C - would Geo sp. Araguaia orange heads be suitable tank mates for the rays?

Thanks

Cav

hope you don't mind me adding a question,

no probs at all, the mOre questions people ask the mOre we can learn about these amazing creatures

If anyone else has questions they'd like answered about them, post them in here,

Let's just keep the negative comments to ourselves cause I don't want this thread ending up like half the others - full off crap

Cav

Edited by __CAV__
Stoopid iPhone predictive text

I suppose it would be fine, presuming their is adequate filtration, and the pups are of a size where they have decent amount of floor space each.

As far as how long, well that would have to do with how quick the pups grow.

But considering the price of these, Id spend the extra $ to get a proper sized tank quicksmart, to enjoy these beauties.

thanks cav, and i agree, to many honest questions get turned into crap threads,

thanks memphis, and i can see what you mean, i was more thinking of the ibc being sumped and to be very temp if at any stage we found a couple my wife really wanted, then we would get the proper tank made,

cheers.......

Yes they have barbs, they do have venom and they will hurt if you get hit.

DO NOT ATTEMPT REMOVE THE BARBS- This is the rays natural defence system.

Attempts to remove spike can result in killing your ray through infection.

There is a practice of putting sheath/tubing over the barbs to avoid getting spiked. - This is really terrible, It gives rise to bacteria growing between the barb and the sheath, and leaves a higher risk of fungal and bacterial infections.

Bottom line is take care when performing tank Maintenance, and leave the barb alone

Do they have Barbs? are they Poisonous?? If so can you remove the barb?

Why would you want to? Disfigure and maim a fish just because you want to keep it?

Sorry Cav, I know you didn't want this thread to go the way of others, but feck me?............what do these folk want to keep fish for?

they're ideal temperature range is the same as any other south american - 26-28 degrees C

so to keep them outside you'd need a damn good heating system (and no that doesnt mean 5x 300w internal heaters)

they are personable to an extent but i dont see why you'd want to do that to any fish (hand feed that is) all your doing is transferring pathogens into the water, contaminating the food and the ray. Then if you make a mistake and spook it you could end up getting stung.

They could suffice in a 6x3, but i wouldnt get more than 2 in the tank. That and they probs wouldnt breed in that size.

Temp around the 25 deg mark, They can be hand fed with training and patience.

Personally i wouldnt keep them outside, you might as well leave $250 in notes and a sign saying take me on your balcony.

I hand feed mine but thats just a worm dangling in the water he swims up the glass takes it from my hand then hes happy. My hands never enter the water unless I have to. Not in fear of being stung, but in fear of contaminating the water

Do they show any parental care or do you have to remove pups from parents straight away?

Could they be put in a tank with a couple of large display Americans if there was adequate size tank and really good filtration?