Hi everyone,

in light of my upcoming fish shed (more space for new fishes), I have been thinking about

fish I would like to eventually keep. The royal panaque has always been one of those one-of-these-days

fish, but really I know very little about keeping catfish (though allot about keeping various exotics).

Could any of the people who have experience with this species give me some info?

Recommended diet, tankmates (if possible), growth rate, where to source etc.

Any info would be great.

Also if anyone could advise on similar species that have long whiskers, as they are one of

my favourite features. I wouldn't be close minded on other similar fish if you have suggestions/personal favourites.

though the panaque price is the limit on what i would spend. they are pretty special so i wouldnt sneeze at it.

Hi Sarah, I have 2 of these they are pretty easy to look after just like any other panaque give them plenty of wood, preferably soft wood. I have 1 in a 8 x 2 with my spotted gars a couple of oscars and a shovelnose cat, their diet consists of meaty pellets, mine eat zucchini about once every 3 weeks, and vege wafers, mine eat anything that goes into the tank, but the do need plenty of drift wood. My other 1 is in a 6 x 2 south American tank and he gets the same. Be careful if you get 2 cos they can become aggressive towards each other that's why mine are seperate. I hope I have been a bit helpful. To find some Mikes wish fish had some for sale and I have seen them on pleco planet.

Cleobhp- thanks so so much for the advice. I'm glad to hear they are with other fish. Is the aggression mostly towards similar or the

same species rather than other fish?

Also, where do you source your wood? I assume big specimines would chomp through it quite regularly.

floppingflamingos- i will for sure post pics if/when i get one. gotta set up the shed first and THEN i can do

things like this. but then the choice of whether to start on my 8x3x2 marine angel community (gosh i drool over emperors, magestics and regals) or focus

on other exotics on the shed.. what a pain my life is hahahha.

then again i do all this on an art-uni student's wage working at a juice bar. so don't you all think i dont work hard for all this! haha

Aggression is towards their own kind the 1 I have in my 6 x 2 he has little geos, an oscar a flag tail, a pep, pink tail chelceus, ( not sure how to spell that lol ) and they all get along fine, all the drift wood is what we have collected over the years bush walking, so they do go through it but not as much as you would think.

fantastic cleohp. i was hoping that was the case. i imagine they would keep to themselves mostly.

also glad they dont dispose of entire forests each night! i have a large driftwood collection myself so im

sure my river walks wouldnt go astray in finding some when needed. i would really love to raise one

to a large size so it has great whiskers! gorgeous fish. thanks again