wickkyjr

I've gone to the dark side

I finally got africans. Sorry dad.

These are my first africans, but there the good ones, tangs lol.

I got these from melbourne and i drove there !! it took 5 and a half hours to drive there. And about 5 to get back. I left at 5am and got home at 5.30 pm. All the fish survived the trip thank fully.

So in the tank is 17 xenotilapia ochrogenys 'mzuri'. Soon to be less. The tank he had them in was filthy. So a few deformed fry from poor water quality. So my mission tomorrow is to catch the deformed ones out. Also have 4 paracyprichromis nigripinnis. One has a sunken stomach and is currently floating around the tank, so after this post ill catch him out and put him to sleep.

Now for the pics.

DSCF0361.jpg

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg

Edited by wickkyjr

congrats mate!!!! What a way to start, beautiful species.

It sucks to cull fish but you are doing the hobby a huge favour so well done!

Just keep the carbonate hardness up with KH and GH buffers and a feed of mysis will get them in the breeding mood.

shon- yeah the sand sifting reminds me of geos :D

EFC- yeah i finally found frozen mysis shrimp at the lfs, $8.10 a packet tho. Yeah i just add tang buffer and cichlid lake salt every water change.

Is that enough? Water comes out of the tap at like 8.2ph.

They have only been in the tank 24 hours, so quite impressed with the colours.

Haha i havn't crossed. My love for americans is still there. Just that africans is the best option. For the water that comes out of the tap

As soon as i move out of here ill be back into the americans. With another tank for tangs of course lol.

Edited by wickkyjr

Are you sure you havnt turned to the light side???

Awesome fish to start with! i wish i wast so darn impatient with finding sources when i first got my tangs. now im stuck with the not-so-nice species... (altho they are still awesome because they are tangs :D)

I went to the lfs yesterday, there out of mysis and she had no idea when the next shipment will be in.

They coloured up even more today until i did a water change lol.

I pulled out the cull worthy ones. I ended up with 21 mzuri instead of 17 but..... I had to cull 10 fry.

Not happy at all. And im doubtfull of the fry left, im going to send shon a drawing and see what he thinks. But

i think ill have to off them aswell. Kind of my fault tho.

Just makes me more determined to breed these and produce good fry.

Next on the list... I would like to focus on xenotilapia's. But ill have to wait until i move from wagga first.

EDIT: im letting the remaining fry live.......for now

Edited by wickkyjr