tangles

Best way to treat whitespot in planted tank

Hi setting up a planter and got a blue ram yesterday that has whitespot(didnt notice he only has a couple of spots and was from a reputable shop that usually i have never had a prob before).I don,t have another tank setup that i can treat him in as i am only just starting up the hobby again.What treatment can i use that doesnt make the water blue or green and stain the plants.Other fish are couple of bristlenose 13 neons 10 rummy nose and a clown loach.Tank is 3x15x18.Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers leigh

Turn your temp up to around 38 deg, and use aqua master white spot remedy, 5 bucks for the little bottle from lfs, enough to do a 4ft twice. It will turn your water blue but wont stain, and will clear up within 8 or so hours (depending on your filtration).

Just use salt and up the temp to over 28 degree. Especially with the Loach in the tank, But if you do go for the meds approach make sure you only half dose the tank cause it can kill your Loach.

Salt ratio is 1 gram per litre.

Turn your temp up to around 38 deg, and use aqua master white spot remedy, 5 bucks for the little bottle from lfs, enough to do a 4ft twice. It will turn your water blue but wont stain, and will clear up within 8 or so hours (depending on your filtration).

hey corbi 38 degrees they will be well cooked and ready to eat lol

we use salt 7 day treatment and up the temp to 29 degrees works like a treat

38 will probably kill everything in the tank unless you meant 28? lol 38 would be one hell of a bloody sauna for the fish lol. if you are worried about the protozin die ruining your silicon or plants then buy tri-sulfa tablets....that is what I have on hand in case :)

Depending on the plants, sometimes raising the temperature and also by adding the temp up will kill some of your sensative plants. I know if it was in my tank some of mine would melt as a result.

28 28 28 !!!!!!! Haha temp up to 38, marinate in a bit of basil and truffle oil, lightly pan fry both sides, garnish with mesculine and well you left with a pointless dish cause theres not much meat on a ram. lolz

Everyones suggestions are to use salt in huge doses but what type of plants do you have? Some can be sensitive to this. Be good to tell what plants as to the hardiness of the plant and tolerance level :) But yer as I said above order some tri-sulfa tablets if you are worried about protozin staining anything (shouldnt do in that recommended dose but if you have a nice rimless/braceless tank that looks the goods with minimum silicon i would try using tri-sulfa)

a product called easy life will sort it out and better your water quailty,also salt is good and has not effected any of my plants,i definately wouldnt use tri sulfa as a mate did this years ago and it turned all his plants brown and killed them

Thanks for the quick response i ended upfinding a 2 ft tank in the ceiling so i have isolated him.Hopefully i did it quick enough .Iwillkeep a close eye on the other fish in the meantime.

Cheers leigh

a product called easy life will sort it out and better your water quailty,also salt is good and has not effected any of my plants,i definately wouldnt use tri sulfa as a mate did this years ago and it turned all his plants brown and killed them

I had white spot recently with one fish (bloody otto and i suggest it come in with some friken neon tetras) and I used tri-sulfa and it has in no way melted any of my plants. Running ADA substrate with ADA powders underneath, high light, high doses of co2, high fertz dosing, and having plants such as UG, rotala colorata, pogo helferi, eriocaulon cinerum, eriocaulon sp shiga, limno sp vietnam, bacopa sp japan, tonne of mini pellia and also us fissidens, limno sp varigated, belem, tonina fluvatins just to name a few and it has in no way harmed any of my plants when sticking to the dosage labelled on the aqua master container. So I would definitely be using it again any day of the week. Your mate must of been very unfortunate but then planted tanks have advanced alot in a few years thank god haha. I needed something that would not stain or run the risk of staining and did not wish to try my luck with protozin and this stuff worked wonders. Incredible stuff imo alongside protozin.

38 degrees? Wow that's hot water lol

I'd also treat the Loach just to make sure

Edited by woodie03