a while ago i saw a post/thread on under gravel jets but i've searched and can't find it. anyways has anyone done this? i have a 4ft with no substrate used as growout, think of trying it out but set it up for my 3ft ad if it work swap it into my 3ft tank using the external filter outlet to power it or possibly a power head.

thoughts? or is it just a crap idea and wasting my time?

not sure about the jets

but it used to be called reverse undergravels

works great normally ive used conduit and made like s shapes around the tank drill holes so it points in many directions and hook to outlet of filter

this has the benefit of keeping gravel superbly clean but a couple of draw backs

1 you need super strong filter the filter will have to pump the return back through gravel

2 any fish that dig will expose the pipes and will render useless

3 you need to find just the right sized holes and the right number so as to work properly without making huge back pressure or making holes too big to be blocked

but if done right is fantastic way of doing it

peter

Edited by smiley

i have an eheim 2226, i plan on using poly pipe/pvc pipe thats thesame size as the filters outlet pipe to route the outlets, maybe 3-4 outlets. i'm going to heat the outlet points up and kind of pinch them shut a lil bit to keep a bit of pressure as 3-4 outlets at full size would have very little current. i'm thinkin maybe 2 ports at the front, 1 at the rear fromnone end of the tank to stop build up of poop where its hard to clean behind the wall of lava rock, and maybe one pointing up under the lava rocks to flow throughout the rocks and help improve flow through an keep it somewhat clear of poop. any improvements to that would be great! and all ideas and help is appreciated

i never used jets as such i just made holes in the pipe to adjust the flow the smaller holes were closer to inlet so rather than water being pushed out in a few places it can be dispersed more evenly

pete