kasman

Mbuna scratching on sand - how much is normal??

Hey guys

The last week or 2 Iv noticed some of my saulosi and pulpican skimming off the sand a bit, on their side.

First thing I thought is Ich but no visible signs at all. Fish look healthy and behave fine.

Iv read on the net that this skimming can be normal behaviour. Is this true??

Matt.

haha, searched forum and found an answer. Well it was kind of an answer. Yes it is normal but it still could be ich, just keep an eye on them.

But if anyone else has additional advice please pass it on.

Thanks

I haven't treated for them so far. It is not unlikely that I have some in my tanks, but I have not had excessive scratching on sand or rocks which might indicate a severe infestation, so I have seen no need to treat with meds.

So I can't really give any advice which medication works best, maybe someone else has some experience in treating gill flukes?

?

I answered your pm

but if you are afraid of severe gill fluke infestation

why not do a gill flush and put the results under a microscope?

throwing meds around without any confirmation of an actual specific problem usually does more harm than good.

I posted this Q this morning, sent you pm tonight.

gill flush and microscope. Id actually have crack at that if I had a scope.

everythings a steep learning curve with any sign of abnormalities or illness causing a mega freak out :) .

not that I want to throw "jack of all trades" meds at them, all I can do is trawl the net for answers then ask the experts on qldaf like yourself.

Edited by kasman

I aint an expert mate. If I was I'd be charging ya for a vet consultation.

But I have read a lot about 'worms' and fish.

Ambiphyra and Apiosoma are a sessile ciliates that can be found on the skin, gills, and fins of fish. These seem to be more common in pond fish than tank-reared fish and have a predilection for organically rich environments. They are not generally found on marine fish. When examined from a lateral view, Ambiphyra is the shape of a tin can with a ciliated band around the middle and at the cytostome, which is distal to the attachment site. Apiosoma spp are vase-shaped. Neither Ambiphyra spp nor Apiosoma spp are particularly pathogenic if present in low numbers (no more than 1-2/low-power field); however, when present in high numbers, these parasites can cause significant epithelial damage, predisposing fish to opportunistic pathogens in the environment and compromising respiration and osmoregulation. Infested fish demonstrate flashing, decreased appetite, loss of condition, and hyperplasia of infested epithelial surfaces. Severe infestation of the gills is particularly damaging. The organisms can be controlled with a single treatment of formalin, copper sulfate, potassium permanganate, or a salt dip. Excessive crowding and poor sanitation are frequently associated with heavy infestations and should be corrected.

Merck Veterinary Manual

update:

administered some Aqua Master Para Cide which is TRICHLORFON - for Gill Flukes

after 36 hrs no scratching or flashing.

Job done, thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by kasman