Craigo

QLDAF's stance on Noxious fish.

Im just wondering the forums stance on exotic fish deemed 'pests' by our all knowing government.

I realise we (being the forum as a whole) cannot openly support the keeping of these fish, however we can all realise that these fish are not cheap at all & people outlaying the $$$ to keep these fish are not going to be reckless owners.

I'm wondering if FS threads, discussion/questions about owning & pics of fish listed on the noxious list eg. aba aba, gars, emporer cichlid, snakheads ect. are allowed on the forum or will they simply be deleted by the mods?

Thanks all, just wondering...

if you dont have a permit for it NO ,

sale of noxious fish NO,

give away noxious fish NO ,

dealeted , YES

sorry but ilegal is ilegal and we cannot suport/condone that side of the hobby

this is made by me as me without anny one elses input ,

john

Yes I am very aware of all the laws mate, thank you for clearing that!!

I see you have stong feelings about the subject.

no, no strong feelings at all. sorry if my response has upset ya. wasnt my intent. just dont like seeing anything illegal spoken about on a public domain as some people are easily lead. again sorry you took my messages in the non intended context ;)

All good fella's. Im just asking is all, as I nevr quite new where the line was concerning these fish.

I would liek to see some appreciation & education through discussion threads but if it is just goin gto be trouble (with the industry or DPI or whoever) I agree it would be best advoided.

Just a shame as I really love some of the fish that were deemed noxious without too much research within the hobby, Yes I realise the government spends alot of time & labout on these types of things so I am not naieve, just dissapointed most of these fish are becoming very hard to aquire...

I mean, who doesnt love Shovelnose Tiger Cats? really.....

All good fella's. Im just asking is all, as I nevr quite new where the line was concerning these fish.

I would liek to see some appreciation & education through discussion threads but if it is just goin gto be trouble (with the industry or DPI or whoever) I agree it would be best advoided.

Just a shame as I really love some of the fish that were deemed noxious without too much research within the hobby, Yes I realise the government spends alot of time & labout on these types of things so I am not naieve, just dissapointed most of these fish are becoming very hard to aquire...

I mean, who doesnt love Shovelnose Tiger Cats? really.....

i agree with you in that context. i mean they are some expensive and good looking fish. my only concern is open discussion about things that the government has made illegal can have low iq people openly breaking the law. most of us understand law. we may not all agree with them (i know i dont with alot of them) but i know most people would follow them as the penalties are the prevention. its not allways the case as drug smugglers prove on a weekly basis but i think in an open discussion (and real terms) the laws need to be followed. black markets will allways flourish in the conditions but atleast the law is knowingly broken then i guess.....and punishment ensues ;)

very interesting thread,

what happens if they make bn illegal, the trader will be so quiet, :), ohh and the auctions will finish in half the time,

i've owned a reptile forum, and still do, we had lots of threads about this, (illegal and exotic reptiles) but we also had a lot of overseas members who legally could own what we couldn't in aust, i guess in the end we started a section just for overseas reptiles,

i can't see threads just talking about them as being bad, as long as it remained friendly and nobody started saying that they owned them,

Thanks S&J. Thats kinda what Im looking for... conversation & education about these fish, I think the lack off information & knoledge reguarding these fish si the reason most of them became noxious in the first place. (Tilapia excluded)

i think it might be a good thing, not sure on how had it would be, but we had a section just for pics of each type of native snake, maybe its something that could be looked at, a section just for fish id pics, then noobys could see the noxious species, plus some of our great native ones, it could also include sections for other fish, including africans, americans, l's, and so on,

it would be up to members to start threads and post pics, no chat in the threads, just pics of that species,

i think it would be a great attraction to the forum, :)

I would expect that the site would be most interested in showing the hobby in a positive light. I think discussions of noxous fish is not in the interest of a QLD based forum. It is important to show all hobbiests that we are interested in the well being and keeping fish, and to set a good and high example. No one can stop you from gaining information via google or alike or within forums in area's to which it is legal.

If QLDAF would like to be taken seriously then certain standards need to be set. Wouldn't it be nice when it comes to Bio-Security or other influences for the hobby where some of our input may be possible for the benefit of the hobby. I think priorities need to be set. Like how to protect local waterways. Educating new members on correct things to do. There was mention of a Bar-b-que and a talapia catch. To take it a step further providing information on location, all species caught, quantities and sizes caught of non native species shows a positive and commendable thing.

Gday guys and great discusion points,

I am aware that there is a real need for education of both noxtious and also legal kept fish and this idea is is currently being discussed to see what the forum can do.

For the time being the problems with opening this up to further discussions is partly legal and other is not having a full dedicated section that is moderated constantly to avoid any chances of anyone miss using it and also ruining it for everyone else.

Great points and topic.

Cheers

Johno

P.s I too wish there where fewer restrictions on some fish :-( but then again it is the stupid mistakes that the few have made that ruins it for everyone.

Good points TTD & BNJ. Thanks for your input.

I just started this as since I have been a member it hasnt really been brought up as to what we can & cant discuss.

I am a lover of native & exotic fish & realise the absolute importance of protecting our waterways, just asking the question is all & getting the discussion happening.

**TTD could you please add comment to the tilapia cull day thread. Please elaborate furthr a sto whta we can do on the day in reguards to gathering data about the catches.

Cheers

Have a bit of a read and copy over the important parts. Just a guess but would think CSIRO or similar would have interest.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/4ad26605-6f39-4322-b756-669161601c28/pdf_rec_guide_2010_2011_part_14.pdf

Freshwater ferals (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

What can you do?

If noxious or exotic fish are caught, never release these back into waterways or use as live or dead bait. These should be euthanased humanely (e.g. methods include placing fish into an ice slurry and then freezing) and disposed of immediately (e.g. into a rubbish bin) 6.

Use native fish rather than exotic species for stocking purposes (e.g. native fish can be used as an alternative to gambusia for controlling mosquitos) 7.

To help you correctly identify exotic species, obtain a copy of the noxious and exotic pest fish identification brochures and posters produced by the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (Ph: 13 25 23).

You can help control 'freshwater ferals' in Queensland waterways by reporting exotic pest fish sightings to the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (Call 13 25 23).

Freshwater ferals (Department of Environment and Resource Management)

I am curious as to exactly what you wish to discuss about these noxious species. There is no reason preventing this forum from showing noxious fish information in the form of fact sheets and the like from the State Government. If you asked about using this particular information I am sure you would get nothing but support for the idea.

However, if you are wishing to include information on the noxious fish detailing suitable aquarium conditions, what to feed them etc etc. I would be asking why you want people to know this and wondering exactly what is the point?

General information about the life cycle of these pest species, the damage they cause (either actual or potential) and hence the reasons they are declared noxious in the first place, is the type of message the authorities are trying to distribute. If this info is what you seek, I would certainly agree with its inclusion on the forum.

I would anticipate any such potential discussions of many of these noxious species to be far and few between to become an issue. As mentioned earlier, people can always google info on them if they wish. Realistically who who would post about these illegal fish anyway. Just my thoughts....

Some good points here.

On the issue of legality, someone with a legal permitted fish could quite easily post their permit number at the start of the thread thus making their post "legal" in a sence.

On the moral issue, I agree with some other posts that even the fact of posting discussions and pictures will get the pulses racing of a few less well informed/experienced fish keepers giving them crazy ideas like getting a few and giving them a go, and worst still, trying to make a few $$ from them by breeding etc. Don't tell me many of you haven't thought about investing in a few motorays, or arowanas in the hope you can breed them flog off the babies to make your money back and then get some money for jam. It's not that easy I know but some think like that. Not that some would know how, but these same fly-by-nighters would also be the one's who would do something stupid like putting them in an outdoor pond, or offload to mate with a farm dam or break up with their missus and she tips everything down the drain. It's happened before.

I see the issues of noxious fish from the point of view of why they are noxious in the first place, THis is usually because they have real potential (not from some beuracrat making it up in their head) but based on the species biology or overseas experiences, can if put in the right situation, cause damage to another industry or the native flora and fauna.

On the other hand with the appropriate controls, such as fish sterilisation or male only fish for example, I would accept that some fish could still be part of the hobby.

One thing that constantly enteres my mind on the issue of noxious fish and what hobbyist want to keep, is the fact that the greatest predictor of the number of pest fish in waterways is the number of people living in that area. More people = more pests, there is no disputing this. Be that from deliberate or accidental releases, the out come is the same. If we ever get a snakehead outbreak it is good night for most natives in Aussie waterways. For some "boring as batshit" natives, as some have referred to them as, it might sem like an insignificnat loss, but for other species like lungfish, mary river cod, and a swag of other national treasures, this would be a absolute tragedy. And for what, the right to keep something different for the fun of it. Some fish are just not worth the risk.