Mr Fresh

New tank build (Big Bertha)

Evening ladies and gents, I have decided to build a new tank.

our home is undergoing some new renovations and I have decided to put in a tank wall for a divider.

current size planned (ok'd by the missus) is for an 8x3x2.5 however I an subtly suggesting a 10x3x3... will see how that goes.

planning to stock it with a motoro ray, a couple of large plec's, ghost knife, and some clown loaches.

firstly I'll be building the stand and sump, essentially tackling the project from the ground up.

this will be the third tank I have built, and will be the largest until I build the monster tank in the backyard.

will come with the pics once I fix my phone... and clean the house

Hey mate,

Good luck with the tank build, looking forward to pics!

I do agree with deeg, I'd have either motoro ray/s and a few non-aggressive surface dwelling fish OR a couple of large plec's, ghost knife, clown loaches and some sort of surface dwelling fish.

Michael

Agree'd - as everyone else said, its a pretty big no no for rays and plecs sadly!...

Also for the size - especially if its being incorporated into a wall, i'd definately go for as much height as you can so try for the 3foot height. Height is the one dimension that has the biggest effect on how big the tank looks, 1/2 a foot higher and the tank looks substantially bigger whereas a whole foot longer has little effect on overall appearance.

Also, just keep in mind 3ft wide (although wider then most) might not be ideal for the full term of the fish your talking about keeping. a female ray can easily reach 100cm. And although she may live happily in a 3ft wide tank for the rest of her life, she's going to make the tank look tiny and you wont be able to keep anything else in with her except other large rays.

But im being awful negative! lol just thought i'd point out a few things from my experience with tanks similar size, Good luck with it all im sure it'll be a great build.

thanks for the comments guys, whilst I agree that the plec and ray together may cause issues I'm intrigued as to why loaches would be a problem.

one of my local shops has had a pair of clown loach happily sharing a tank with a motoro for some years now and there have been no problems as of yet.

as for the motoro outgrowing the tank I have foreseen this and do plan on building a megatank/pond in the backyard within the next few years, it's going in next to my pool. :D

I probably saw your pool from Castle Rock today.

Take on board the advice given already.

All i can say with a tank that big is get some monster going on in there.

Would love to see some pics of construction when it happens.

What local fish shop is that ?? I'm going to the aquarium in the morning but would love to hit that shop afterwards =)

The reasons loaches and rays are a no no is that if the motoro smothers the loach and eats the loach which can and will happen, the ray will choke on the loach because they have two sharp stiff pec fins. I did alot of research as I have 3 clown loaches around the 25cm mark and wanted to add them to my ray display. After reading many stories on Monster Fish Keepers of people losing there ray because they ate a clown loach I relaised it really wasnt worth the risk. They may not be eaten straight away, maybe not in the first year but be assured a ray will outgrow a loach and eventually it will become food.