ashimus

toga wont eat live fish

my toga wont eat live fish? hes about 15-20cm hes got some feeders in with him aswell as americans(3 gold sevs 1 oscar and a pearl cichlid) aswell as a red claw cray and a goldspot pleco should be getting some small swordtails as feeders this weekend(i hope) toga eats pellets and frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms any idea on how i can get him onto live fish?

cheers :D ash

Dont. The fish doesnt need live food to live a healthy life. You should be happy that it is eating pellets.

But give it time. If it gets hungery it will eat... Feed it a varied diet, good pellets, frozen food, earthworms, crickets roached ect. I used to feed mine frozen mice once a month as a treat. but not any more often than that!

Just enjoy your fish mate & stop stressing about small things, if it eats its healthy. some fish are just picky.

It'd be nice to see my toga eat something live there's nothing wrong with feeding fish as they'd eat in nature I still feed it pellets and bloodworms and brine. But something more natural would be good to see :)

Guest Kamfa

its all well and good saying it would eat it in nature, but if you wanted to think of it like that, the fish would have acers of water to swim arround and not stuck in a fish tank. thats my view if you want to feed live fish, realease the poor thing.

Believe me if I had a dam in my yard I would trying to convince rents to let me build a big 4$$ pond. Who said I want it to eat naturally forever ? If it ate the occasional lives id happier knowing he's healthy and eats as he would in nature when it's offered :). Do you have acres of dam I could put him in?

Guest Kamfa

no, i dont have acres in my yard, i dont keep togas and i do not feed or let alone agree with live food. and then again you bring the natural thing into it. i can see why some people feed their fish special requirements because they need them, but as ray just said, they feed from insects, feed crickets, dont feed goldys or gudgeons. and the only thing you will acomplish by feeding live food is a agressive toga, are you still getting you mangrove jack -.-

Gonna get another 6ft then jack :). But gotta wait mrs isn't happy with tanks atm so yeah eventually getting jack :). Will get insects and try them for toga :) thanks everyone for input. Ps. Kamfa. Not gonna use goldys or gudgeons. Using convicts that I'll be breeding

I feed a few prawns everynow and again

sometimes earthworms

hoplo get some blackworms

I culture small stuff for fry

but everything I can feed spectrum/hikari pellets

I do so

feeding fish to fish is expensive and risky

yea I did so every day with my jack

but he also had a very varied diet

and he was more a garbage can for cichlid culls

rather than something NEEDING live food

But you COULD have brought the jack up on just pellets. Toga currently gets pellets in morning and brine or bloodworms at night i got feeders ages ago realized how bad they are thats why I'm not getting shop feeders again i buy fry or fish off people AS feeders but I will check quality( look of the fish what it's fed ect) toga is on pellets brine and bloodworms that's varied I'm just making it more varied by adding " feeders"

correction.

I SHOULD have grown it up on just pellets.

Not just any pellets, good ones.

getting feeder fish from multiple people

and lol I bet you wont quarantine them lol

is about as risky as it gets

at least with prawns

they dont carry much that can infest a fish

Between 2dogs 2cats and an aviary I don't think there's anywhere safe to breed mice or rats in my house and when I even mention feeding my Oscar a pinkie I get the " your sleeping on the couch for a week" look told her I'm gonna get rid of 2 tanks get a snake and breed mice almost lost my head :s

Know of anywhere I could buy geckos cheap lizards spiders or anything other then fish I could feed it?

I hope you are taking the piss with this comment about the geckos and cheap lizards... however, if you are serious, I'd suggest you step into a quiet back room and give yourself an uppercut :)

i saw at petbarn virginia AGESSS AGO you can buy frozen lizards(that obviously died in the freezer) as food for fish if they sell it why should you not use it? one of my LFS sells frozen baby chickens WHAT THE HELL WOULD YOU FEED A 8" baby chick to? THERE HUGE i honstly dont know any fish that could eat it?

i saw at petbarn virginia AGESSS AGO you can buy frozen lizards(that obviously died in the freezer) as food for fish if they sell it why should you not use it? one of my LFS sells frozen baby chickens WHAT THE HELL WOULD YOU FEED A 8" baby chick to? THERE HUGE i honstly dont know any fish that could eat it?

you feed them to snakes you twit, not fish.

i saw at petbarn virginia AGESSS AGO you can buy frozen lizards

I think you might have your stores mixed up mate, virginia PB has never sold frozen lizards, or live ones for that matter lol and yeha, chicks are ment for snakes (guinia pigs would be better, but you can't use them cause of their fur)

But I'd be happy your toga is eating pellets, stick too them, cheaper and better for him.