Johnwilly1000

Easy way to get rid of algae

Guest Kamfa

simple thing, i work in a lfs and over my time in working there there is only one thing id reccoment

WHITE MAGIC

i swear by them, great at removing algae for the short term, but in the long term look at the time period that you light is on and that should be no more than 8 hours a day, or you could get some b/n's

kamfa

There are many different types of algae. What type of algae is it? What is it on? Every algae requires different technique of removal and different successes apply per algae. Pics would help. Algae is not just caused by lights being left on too long. It can be derived by a number of things including an inbalance in nutrients and lack of a certain nutrient

easiest way to get rid of algae is find the cause and prevent it from happening again. by using something to kill algae it is simply quick fixing the problem ...

x2. Personally I dont think lighting has much to do with it. I have 6 tubes over my 5ft tank and they are on for 12 hours a day at least and I dont have an algae problem. Have you considered adding some fast growing plants to soak up the nutrients? Even the good old duckweed will help. Adding chemicals to get rid of it is just asking for trouble IMO.

Try some Ottos!

I got a 6ft tank outside under verandah and put in some Otto's (Ottocinclus). Fantastic little cleaners they are. Not shy like my pepps b/n either.

They made a difference within 12hours.

The advantage of them is they dont eat the plants and dont grow huge like the CAE. Same food as B/nose as well.

Having a few of them keeps them happy.

hi all just thought ild post what happened .bn did almost nothing in a 6ft tank. even though i got 6. gold spot pleco at 30cm did the trick. how ever over longer time period a particular type of algae like spots was impossible for any fish to get rid of even thouh i use sponge ans even that didnt work. only thing that worked for that was a scouring blade type stick and had to rigurously scrape glass with it to come off. so pleco helps heaps but in long run still needs hard work. otherwise only option left is cover patio so no light reflection gets to it al all.

..did you test nitrate levels ?

Might not just be the light causing issues. My 8 ftr is in front of two full size sliding glass doors and gets a fair whack of light reflection, no green algae, but I have extremely low to zero nitrates.

Excess nitrate will feed some types of algae.

..did you test nitrate levels ?

Might not just be the light causing issues. My 8 ftr is in front of two full size sliding glass doors and gets a fair whack of light reflection, no green algae, but I have extremely low to zero nitrates.

Excess nitrate will feed some types of algae.

I totally agree ash,

My tank is in the open and gets natural light as well. However I have a UV Steriliser which has cured my algae problems. Also for this persons tank, I would suggest more Bn to start. If no better, invest in a UV Steriliser. IMO. It worked for me

i dont think flagtail can lick the glass hense useless. uv steriliser sounds interesting. how much r they and do the use much electricity. i waterchange once a week 20% running canister. i dont think more pleco as gold spot does clean all off. bit lasy sometimes changing filter foam bit try to do oce every few months.il chek nitratw tonight

For a UV Steriliser, I'd check around for prices. Ebay have them and so does a member of this site. I won't advertise him because I'm not sure if he still has them.

As for Flagtails....I've never had one and I know nothing about them but, I know Bidkev knows his stuff. Quite frankly you'd be surprised at a lot of things in this hobby. some things I never believed would work and after being shown, I'm amazed....

So, Given that you have a canister filter, a UV Steriliser may not be appropriate since they need to be integrated into your return plumbing. There are canisters around that have the UV Steriliser built in.

However it is sounding like a Flagtail would be the option for you....

Flagtail Prochilodus

"This species is quite unfussy regarding decor, but if you want to keep it in natural surroundings a biotope setup would be very simple to arrange. Use a substrate of river sand and add a few driftwood branches (if you can't find driftwood of the desired shape, common beech is safe to use if thoroughly dried and stripped of bark) and twisted roots. Algal growth should not be discouraged as the fish will graze on it. It's not the best choice for a planted tank, as it will devour any soft-leaved species and even less palatable vegetation will probably be picked at."

Do they go ok with Africans Kev?

I saw the one Blackraven had and looked awesome. They grow big too and would look nice in pretty much any tank.

Anything you can't put them with other than a planted tank (if you don't want your plants devoured lol)?

Not really mate (to see them at their best) as they prefer acid water with a max of 7.5