kasman

Betta & rams in 3fter??

Guys

Because of this cold snap Im getting concerned for my daughters betta we have in a bowl.

Dont want to try and fit a heater in there.

I have a heated 3fter with a pair of rams and some b/n thats pretty well planted.

Do you think the Betta would be alright in there??

Other than that I can put it in a fry saver hanging off the top but thatd be pretty small.

What do you think??

You can make a fry saver out of a plastic storage container which will be bigger than the crummy little aquaone ones... PM blackraven, nev has made a really good one for his tank.

is it a veil tail betta? double veil tail? plakat? some betta has been deformed so much (for human centric asthetics) they struggle to swim to the surface for air. if it's a plakat it should be okay (i think) but i dun know if rams are fin biters.

I dont know what type of betta it is, but it looks similar to the pic below.

I know rams are pretty peaceful as far as cichlids go, theyre no convict. But just unsure about how much theyd hassle a betta. Im guessing the betta would hang around the top of the tank alot. My rams NEVER venture 3 inches off the bottom. So that makes me think things might be ok

Corbii, thats a good idea hey, some kind of a bigger "fry saver". hmm, im sure theres something in the wifes tupaware cupboard at home...

attachment.php?attachmentid=10170&stc=1&d=1305249655

Edited by kasman

i dunno if its right or wrong but ive got a betta like that one in the pic in my tank with some rams and other peoples unwanted tropical fish, they dont go near each other, both are small fish so plenty of room. i guess as long as theres places n things for the fish to take shelter near if theres any dramas.

Edited by relle
spelling

yes!! this is exactly what I wanted to here. Someone who has done it and it works. Thanks Relle.

Of course I understand it can depend on the personality of individual fish sometimes, but I'm willing to give it a crack.

Cuz id love to give our betta the large open expanses of the 3fter as opposed to "the bowl".

Worst you can do is give it ago, theyre not going to kill each other overnight, theyre both small fish so its not like theyre gonna eat one another whole. Just try them out and monitor them, if you see any agressiveness between them, than do something about it, if not, all is well.

Should be fine- I have bolivian butterflies in with bettas and they're very similar in temperament to rams. Only aggression is some fin nibbling when the male betta lounges on the bottom, or he'll sometimes flare up and chase the butterflies briefly (with no hope of catching or hurting them).

I have a male fighter in my community tank with angels, discus, rams, kribs, silver shark... and he's fine. Only the Krib bothers him now and then. So much better than being in a bowl.