I'm sure there is a few amongst us who have purchased fish online. Can you tell me about your experience? Would you recommend it? Who did you order your fish through? Would love to know your thoughts. I would also like to let you know that I am considering buying African Cichlids, if that makes a difference.

Cheers :)

well it all depends on whre you get your fish from. often if they say the fish is, say, 5cm then it will be 2 cm.

LiveFish.com is allright but i bought some julidochromis off them at "5cm" but they were actually 2 and 3 cm. because of that the smallest was eaten.

Its always best to buy from an aquarium or pet store. you can see the quality of the fish, size, gender ect. The next best thing would be ordering from an aquarim or pet store you dont have to pay for shipping.

(BTW, its annoying when people say "african cichlids" because you could put west african, riverine, Lake Tanganyikan, Lake Victorian, Lake Malawian, and the northern great lakes cichlids in the "african cichlids" catergory. When you say african cichlids can you specify which type please?? we can probaly help you more. this goes to all others who say "african cichlids" without specifying not just you :))

Anyway i hope this helps

Only times I buy online is through Aquabid, though that would only work for bettas, apistos etc that can be imported through a quarantine room.

I've had great success with it, you do get to know who the respected and professional breeders are, but yeah for africans its a different story. buy from

a well known breeder, it'll probably cost less and you will get better quality.

theres alot of good breeders and nice people but there is just the odd person who isnt nice.

since your on the gold coast like me, i suggest odins fish. great guy and has great africans. ive bought lots of great fish off him. im sure there are many others out there that would agree with me.

Thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and advice. I really appreciate it. Sorry for using the broad "African Cichlid" term, I should have been more specific. I am actually looking for Lake Malawi Cichlid in particular. Rest assured I will always support and buy from local breeders before buying any fish online as I have done many times in the past. 80% of the fish in my tank have come from local breeders on this site and I have been completely satisfied with what I have so far and the other 20% have come from lfs. I was just curious about the whole on line thing as they do seem to have alot of species that I haven't seen locally but I will always post what I am looking for on this site first before getting anything online. Thanks again everyone

Cheers :)

I have only bought online from Livefish, so my experience is llimited. However, in this case, the whole thing was trouble-free, the fish were as described, extremely well packed and on time (plus I got a bargain with their sale prices).

Cheers,

there are a heap of fish that members breed that dont end up in the for sale section as they are rare and expencive

and are sick of people trying to get them for a rediculous price so they go interstate or to friends /lfs

so if u are after spercific fish post it in fs section as a wtb and have a look through the breeding section for that species

I dont advertise most the fish I breed as I prefer to sell to lfs.

Figure thats the best test of your bloodline and fish health, putting them beside those from other suppliers.

Always gives me a grin when mine are a bit larger, or plumper, or have nicer colours/finnage.

As far as my nicest peacocks go.... I dont usually bother putting them for sale here, as I can easily get what they are worth elsewhere.

For example, I have an A-grade red dragon peacock male @ 5cm for $50.

My problem is, which of the dozen people who are waiting for one do I sell it to?

If I put it up here for sale, I'd get offered $5 for it.

Hence why I and many others dont bother offering the cream.

lol the other 198 from that batch are $5 each..... but they aint what all my effort goes into creating.

I will recommend buying fish online. Though if you have a local fish shop near you, it is also great to buy from the physical store. Just make sure to check on reviews of the site before engaging on a deal with them.

Wow, you from USA that's a fair distance men, can see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum mate.

Buying fish on line doesn't mean cheap and most importantly not the best quality reason for that is:

*Firstly, you can't see or view the fish although they might have pictures but how do you know that's the actual fish picturs.

*Secondly, shipping cost will add up to the total which work it out far too expensive.

*Last but not least, freight (shipping) fishes put too much stresses to all the fish which could end up dead/un-healthy when arrived.

I do recommend to buy from this site breeders or your LFS because you can see the quality and the actual fish quality.

Cheers, Ryan

PS: Here is the link to all the breeder. http://www.qldaf.com/forums/breeders-registry-17/

Edited by Supercobwe