edenholly

What to do with breeding BNs in community tank?

My bristlenoses have finally bred! I thought this day would never come, I am stupidly excited! However, they are in a community tank at the moment as they never seemed keen on breeding.

They are currently with 3 zebra danios (because they're the 3 out of the 8 I couldn't catch to move to another tank) and 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 male, 1 female.

My plan was to give the BN's their own tank if/when they started breeding but obviously it's too late now. I don't want to lose the babies from this batch if possible. Should I try and move the other fish out or try to move the BNs out? I don't want to risk the male kicking out the eggs. Or would they be fine in the tank with the other fish?

Thanks! After ripping out all my plants I finally managed to catch and move the last 3 danios. I will move the gouramis later since they're easy to catch, though I only have a 2ft tank running at the moment for them all to go into and I'm thinking that's probably a bit small :\

Alternativly you could add plenty of places for the fry to hide. They will be fine if you make a large pile of rocks around the log and tank for them to hide. Just make sure they have flowing water and plenty of aeration.

the gouramis will most likly hunt the bristlenose juvis .....

like josh said, have heaps of plants. amazon swords are good, loads of leaves to hide in amoungst.

make sure you have an ample supply of food for the bubs ... also dont remove the parents. the young actually eat the waste from the parents to get the necessory gutt bacteria to start them off.

zuccuni is a great food for when you have young, but unfortnually over time .. (6 months ) it will cloud the tank feeding it constantly.

never leave it in the tank more than 24 hrs, it turns to mush and makes a hell of a mess.

Hrm I have a moderately heavily planted tank but I think I will take the gouramis out when the time comes as a precaution.

I know what you mean about the zucchini making a hell of a mess if you leave it in too long! Though I gave them some pumpkin the other day and was thanked by having yellow poop littered absolutely everywhere. Bristlenoses are really messy fish :(

I keep my 2 pairs of bristle-noses with my girlfriends fancy guppies, Bristle-noses often are on the bottom of the tank or hiding.. The guppies give some colour and something to look at!

I have no experience with Gouramis and BN... But I always go by the general rule "if it fits in it's mouth it will probably eat it". I'd keep an eye on it, bristlenose have barbs to stop prey eating them and may cause damage, not sure how effective the barbs are at younger ages (thank goodness!)

Good luck.. BN are my favourite fish

guppies wont bother the bristlenose, apart from the occasional one being nosey at something they havnt seen before in the tank :D kinda cute really.

no harm tho .. have always kept guppies with my bristlenose breeders.

how did you go with the bubs .. any wriglers yet in the tank ? maybe a little early tho...... the father does a good job of keeping the wriglers in the cave tho ..

IMO if your gonna move them, move them while they are still eggs or just wrigglers, you'll find the fry will stay inside the log for several days until dad kicks them out or they leave, If they leave... good luck catching them!