shazvana

Snails and cherry shrimp

Hi everyone:)

I have a 3ft tank that I am breeding cherry shrimp in and I have had 3 snails in there with them the entire time. I don't know what kind of snails they are as they came from a mates dam when he was collecting feeder fish. They are about 1.5cm long and black/dark brown.

Anyway, the snails have now had MANY babies and just in the last 3 days there seems to be hundreds of them everywhere but they are not that small, so I can't work out how I missed them everyday when I do my daily baby cherry hunt.

So my question is, should I get rid of all these snails or are they harmless to the cherry's?

I'm concerned about them competing for food and there not being enough food to sustain all my cherry's and snails.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for your reply, sorry I haven't been back sooner.

I figured I would have to get them out:)

I am shocked at how many there is, to go from what looked like 3 adult ones to hundreds in just days....where did they come from!!!! They must have been hiding under the driftwood or something.

Just since my last post they have grown a lot too, so they must all go that's for sure.

So I gather it is a matter of just picking them all out by hand then???

I have never had to do this, let alone with hundreds of cherrys all around and I don't want to harm any of my baby shrimp cause they are precious.

Thanks again for the advice, looks like I have a busy day ahead of me.

Best Chemical Free way is to take everything out of the tank, get out as many as you can find, scrap egg sacks (possibly clear jelly blobs with little white dots, don't know the snail species so not 100%). Clean all logs/ornaments/plants/etc, before putting back into tank. Repeat this process once a week until there are none left. Once you get all the adults, you only have the babies left to get, it will take a little bit for them to grow enough to see but so long as you stay vigulent, you will win :)

Edit: Or there is Snail Rid, it didn't harm my cherries but bad for any scaleless fish (catfish,loachs,etc) ;)

Edited by Merkinater

Thanks very much for that info Merkinater.

I looked for snail rid in the LPS and they didn't have it, so I'm left to do it the manual way I suppose.

I still have not had the time to do it and since my last post, there is just more and more of the lil buggers.

They are in piles, like one inch high and 2 inches round, in random spots all over the tank, then there are all the single ones all over the glass, substrate etc.

And the size of them!!!! OMG!!! They are growing SO quick, I'm shocked.

I can see 2 egg patches on the glass, so I scraped them out just before while I had a spare minute but hopefully tomorrow life will settle down and I can get rid of them all before they overtake the cherry's (which is more than possible by the looks of how many I have).

Dead Fish Floating,

Can I ask, as I don't get exactly what you mean or why it would happen, but why would I get a ph crash by just taking out all the snails?

What part do the snails play in the tanks condition apart from eating the algae etc aswell?

Sorry if this is a daft question, I just don't understand why.

its not taking them out-its them being in there. too much poo I think. put in a peice of lettus tonight, then take it out tomoz morning, scrape off all snails and put it back in the tank and do it again. try this.

DFF is talking about the Calcium in the snails shells ;) by having all of these snails in there, it has increased the hardness of the water (same as calcium carbonate substrate). You can avoid a crash by putting a small piece of coral in there. I personally have never had a crash when taking snails out by hand cause you never get them all first go plus Cherries are pretty hardy and can handle it.

snails and shrimp both remove calcium carbonate from the water. Well its a bit more complicated than that.... similar to the total complexed aragonite measurements we do in reef tanks (ballance of calcium/carbonate/magnesium).

Put simply as snails/shrimps grow they reduce the KH of the water. This is your buffer that prevents pH crash.

A lot of snails can remove the KH rapidly, and make a pH crash more of a threat.

nothing that adding the odd bit of pH up or a chunk of coral wont fix tho.

heck even a few snail shells does the trick.

Mate if it's so bad you have piles of the things, you're better off tipping the shrimps and their water into a clean bucket and putting their filter in there with them, and then hosing out the tank. You'll find the snails will be all through your substrate, and you'll never get rid of them by hand.

Thanks for the replies guys, it all helps:)

Well I tried the lettuce trick but to no avail, fussy lil buggers hardly went near it!!! So I got a few out using this trick but only about 20 and that was with using 5 different pieces of lettuce too!

So I moved onto the just digging them out by hand.....OMG! A tedious job but someones got to do it.

My back really started hurting (I have a bad back) within about 15 mins, so I had to leave them and then I haven't had time to get back to them since but my plan is to go in and try again after this post.

Goneself, that does sound like a good idea but my problem is, I have hundreds of tiny tiny baby cherry's, so I really would not feel comfy in taking everything out and then washing out the substrate in fear of loosing my future stock and they are not as smart as I thought, cause they don't jump away like I would expect when I put my hand in, in fact they jump onto my arm and cling to it instead. So for me, it's just too risky which is a pain but I can't risk them.

After I have got out what I can see, I will try and find some of that snail rid stuff that is mentioned by Merkinator and this might get rid of the last of them (I hope). The only fish I have in the tank is 2 bristlenose.....are these safe if I use the snail rid stuff???