How do I know if you my Protein skimmers is doing a good enough job... I cant find a Protein test kit... Basically if I'm losing fish + anenomies, but Ive tested Temp, Ammonia/um, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, KH, GH - all are fine.... how can I check protein levels on the surface?

temps a bit low, what fish have died?

I'd be keeping it around 25 for most tropicals.

you test how well skimmer works by skimmate colour.

it should be filthy dark stinky.

sounds like its filling up too fast.

what brand skimmer?

how long does it take cup to fill?

on the t5's

how many tubes?

what size and height tank?

how old are t5's

how old is tank?

what type/brand t5's are they.

need more data to help

but I think your tank is too cold and bouncy man

get the temperature stable!

Salinity has been tested, its spot on according to my tester. I'll work on the temp - I thought Anenome's had to be colder? Only 2 T5 bulbs - both about a year old. Tank is 1.5ft tall. Skimmer brand unknown. Previous owner reckons they ran setup without a skimmer for almost a year without any probs. COuld it take that long for the protein to get out of control?

That's all helpful stuff thanx guys.

replace t5 tubes after 6 months if you have anemone or corals that depend on them.

what was salinty?

Previous owner reckons they ran setup without a skimmer for almost a year without any probs.

yea but what did the tank look like?

lol

I get told everyday by people that they dont need a skimmer, or they dont need to do water changes.

But in the end, they never have the tank they COULD have IF they did have a skimmer and DID do water changes.

As to it taking that long for protein to cause problems........... well thats a BIG question, that would require a lot more data to answer.

so I choose the middle ground.... 'maybe'

without skimming you need to do a LOT more water changes to keep your water quality good.

cheers, whats the media that goes in the skimmer called, and how often does it need replacing?

Also which are better, air powered or water powered skimmers? I thought it needed to be air to create bubbles which the protein sticks to? How do the water ones work?

Edited by Hennessy
another question added

the media is called water. And it gets replaced according to your water change shedule.

air powered skimmers are the cheapest and least effective type of skimmers.

'water powered' ones use an air venturi or you can plug a line from an airpump into

the model I reccomend (turboflotor blue) uses a needle wheel impellor and is the most effective type.