Pulled these cute and very strangely coloured live bearers out of the pond because it was getting a bit too cold.

These babies are quite odd as I don't have any fish that have similar coluration. (half black half orange colouration)

I have a feeling that they are swordtails as they have slender bodies than the platies and molly babies but I am not sure. The livebearers in the pond are wagtail red platies, solid red platies, yellow wagtail platies, green swords, pineapple sword & koi sanke swordtails.

Some not so good pictures of the fry

P10805821280x768.jpg

P10805721280x768.jpg

Assuming they are fry from the following pair.

Sanke swordtail

P1060321800x600.jpg

Pineapple swordtail

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/netty_3164/P1060318800x600.jpg

What do you guys think?

~John

Edited by netty_3164

Definitely dominant swordtail traits there, look like pure red marble swordtails which they obviously can't be from your brood stock .I would at a guess say you have had a pre-insemenated female, insemenated before purchase.Female live-bearers can store sperm.This is the problem of buying fish from mixed tanks in petshops and is why I have spent thousands on pure strains to maintain value .Also the combination you have in your pond will result in hybrids .Hope this helps .

Ahhh, if only I had kept at least one fry of the platies and mollies. It would be a great comparison as these guys have much more skinnier and longer bodies. There would be a possible that it was inseminated in the lfs but I did have her for at least 4 months, not sure if they can hold it that long.

Anyways, I just did a bit more research and i think I have identified the female sanke/koi swordtail as the mother. Check out these videos.

Sanke swordtail fry

YouTube - Young Sanke / Sanshoku Swordtails for sale at Tyne Valley Aquatics

Adult sanke swordtail

Will update you all for sure. ;)

Can't wait til they take on their adult colouration. :D:D:D

Edited by netty_3164

Any updated? ;):P

Wow, this would be going back 3 years ago haha but I had a look through my hard drive & here are some pictures of how the fry turned out - a few ended up jumping out & most got traded or sold off. I haven't seen a single sanke koi swordtail (like the female pictured in the first post) being available in shop ever since, hopefully I can find and keep some again one day.

Anyhow, some pics of what the fry turned out

P1110855Copy.jpg

P1110857Copy.jpg

I have been told by my lfs and a few other fish keepers that swordtails and Platy can cross breed. I believe that this may have been what caused this beautiful pattern and if I am wrong then they sure are unique. Thanks for sharing.

Live bearer enthusiast.

Platy pro!

I have been told by my lfs and a few other fish keepers that swordtails and Platy can cross breed. I believe that this may have been what caused this beautiful pattern and if I am wrong then they sure are unique

Could possibly be?? another possibility it that domesticated strains could have also been bred with wild swordtails that naturally have the black spots

e.g. Xiphophorus helleri "guentheri"

c25fcc61f21ab6d364205e10e635d104.jpg

Some of the sanke/showa koi swordtails I currently keep

The only one left of the original six koi swordies obtained 2.5+ years ago & she aint showing any signs of slowing down

z%20Copy_2.jpg

The rest below are 4-5 generations down from the above fish

DSC_0071%20Copy_1.jpg

DSC_0056%20Copy.jpg

DSC_0046%20Copy.jpg