I have a SA Cichlid tank with the usual suspects. My male saum was the b**** of the group and spent all his time hiding under logs- even the severums smacked him around. I've put the saum into a 3ft by himself, but he's still trying to hide under anything he can find. Any idea on how to make him grow a set?

take everything out that he can hide under in the 3ft tank. you might need to leave the light off for a couple days, then increase the lights duration and see if it makes a difference. if not mix up some cement in water and soak his food in it.... make him harden up..........lmao dont really do it tho....

Meh- its not even an agro tank. JD, Oscar, Sev, Plec- all pwnd by a male con. I'd be happy if he would just not hide for a couple hours a day.They get glass shrimps and swordtails to smash every week. Maybe I'll pour in a can of xxxx and set him up in front of a dvd player with ufc to watch.

Is the tank in a corner, or is it an area where people are walking past it all the time? A lot of fish are skittish and don't like regular traffic past their tank.

I've fixed this with newcomers in the past by *not* feeding flakes and pellets for a couple of weeks. Instead I've hand fed the community frozen food cubes (brine shrimp, blood worms, marine green, whatever is safe for your fish). Hand feeding them encourages them to associate humans with food so they're less likely to be afraid of you and more likely to stay out when you're around.

Of course if you've got larger specimens with teeth then this probably won't work for you - unless you like bleeding fingers.