bellzyoner

help me argue for an 8x3x2 :D

so i want an 8ftx3ftWx2ftH tank but it wont fit in my bedroom and i need to try to convince mum and my stepdad to let me get it and keep it either in the back shed(nto being used AT ALL) or the garage they keep saying itll blow out the power bill i tell them the tank will have lids ill use top end equiptment with low wattage and ill shut down my other tanks. any suggestions on what else i could say to try and let them let me get an 8x3x2?

and hopefully theyll let me get the tank before my 18th in july :D

thanks in advance

Offer to pay for electricity and extra water costs involved.

my mum wouldnt let me get a 6ft when i used to live with her,

that was until i started paying for power and water.

its funny how they can change their minds if you offer to pay your share.

The biggest cost of running the sucker is going to be heating it in winter - particularly if it's out in the (galvanised iron?) shed in the back yard with all the drafts and no insulation. It would be much cheaper to run if it was inside the house where the temperatures are more controlled.

If it must go outside then you can save a large proportion of the heating costs (around half) by cladding the bottom, back and sides with 25mm polystyrene sheet. You don't even have to glue it, just a tight press fit. This is the same type of material that you'd normally rest the tank on any way, just thicker, and can be gotten from places like Clark Rubber very cheaply.

An 8x3x2 tank is about 1,300 litres. If you do a 10% water change weekly you need to come up with 130 litres per week, or about 18.5 litres per day (two buckets of water). If your parents are actually worried about that amount of water then maybe you could setup a rainwater tank to capture and store it in. I wouldn't recommend this though if you're catching water off a galvanized roof.

Moving it isn't going to be easy. I think the last 8x2x2 tank I moved was about 300kg of glass. I had a quote from a professional moving company (they move tanks for a living) to move a tank from Kingston to Morningside and it was in the $800 range - plus GST! If you've got some mates with a LWB ute and some time on their hands it would be best.

I'll help you argue the point of no more power usage than what you have now - you maqy even have less depending what you are running now.

But the condition is you have to buy me an 8 x 3 x 2.

What do ya say?????? huh huh

Do what I do.

My 8x3x2 is run on a sump, low wattage pump heaters etc. Don't run lights unless you are in the room, and

pay for it yourself! I payed for the tank, arranged the delivery, and now I pay to run it, and my parents have

nothing on me! works a charm. and its an awesome tank. i'd say my running costs are less now than they

were when i was running all individual tanks.

sarah i saw your 8x3x2 i was like :D thats my dream an 8x3x2 exotics with rtg aro or silver aro a moroto ray and a clown knife and maybe a RTC turf em all out at 2.5ft and start again! might just have to wait till dad moves to northside then get it but yeah im crazily keen for it!

is it 100% proven fact fish grow larger and quicker in a bigger space?

oh and i pay an extra 10$ wk for each tank so regular rent is 90 then 3 internet connections is another 20(ipod ps3 my computer) and 2 tanks is an extra 10ea total 120wk then if i got the 8x3x2 i said id pay 20 for it so 140wk that well for sure covers the rates and electricity! considering im not home friday night or saturday nights(pop in to feed the fish) and generally not sundays its not like i eat a crazy ammount of food

All those fish will grow large in that tank. rtc will outgrow before you can enjoy it so dont go there. a silver or rtg (one only) would be more than fine in there.

Big fish will always grow, the only difference in a small tank is they will get stressed and stunted. but 3ft wide will easily allow a 2ft fish to turn etc.

as long as your paying for it and contributing to the bills associated with it then i dont see why your parents would mind :)

Unless your one of those young people that buy these things then the parents end up looking after them....which it doesnt look like you are so i hope they let you :)

Make sure that you have a good and working relationship with them,

then ask them to sit down with you at a time convenient for everybody.

Listen politely to their side of the argument and try to understand them as much as you want to be understood by them!

Try to find a compromise as to create a win/win situation for everybody.

Paying for the extra costs would be very normal.You could offer some extra help,point out that you very much appreciate their kindness

and also the point that you like to spend time and money on a very worth while hobby,compared to other young people who ..............??????

Be respectfull and polite at all times,even if the outcome is initially against you,as they always could change their mind in the future

All the best

Herb

Edited by Herby1

tell them you have thought about drugs...but dont want to cause trouble...having giant fish tanks keeps you out of trouble...and the money you were going to spend on drugs is now going on the power increase...this is positive...and everyone wins...they will understand....huge fish tanks...good!....drugs...bad!..wa la...instant huge fish tank

goldenswimmers- if it was that easy itd be done haha

herby1 - good idea ill give it a shot even if it even if it only gets stocked with aussie natives so it doesnt need a heater they might understand that :)

relle- i clean my tanks every friday night or saturday morning(gravel vac scrub 25-50%wc ect) i walk my dog daily even if its freakin cold sad part is my stepdad bought the dog for him and never did anything with it so when he got sick of it it became MY dog if anyones irresponsible its them. thank you all

Just buy the tank n have it delivered, send them out to lunch/dinner/movie at the arranged delivery time n just set it up, once it's up, if they say no, tell them they can pull it apart n move it overwise it stays! You have to stand your ground, sounds like your stepdad is lazy n won't want to move it ;):)

More Seriously: Herb is a wealth of knowledge n knows what he's talking about. Prob the best idea :)

Edited by Merkinater

alright gonna give it a shot friday night only problem would be getting it IN the house so ill say backshed 8x3Wx2h natives no heater if its a yes ill continue saving :D they know all my money goes on tanks or fish like this weekend im getting an fx5 2 clown loaches delivered(50$) probs 2 salmontail cats and hopefully a texas looking into a barra and a clown knife.

also found a kitten at work so that came home yesterday its about 4 weeks old and we couldnt find the parents so yeah big family now!