chels1289

L066 Questions and othe L number info please?

I'm looking into getting one or two L066 plecos.

I thought they would be useful to eat the algae in the tank (and look cool at the same time)

But I've just read they are one of the only L numbers who don't eat much algae.

Do they eat any algae?

If I had two in a four foot tank would there be any aggression between them?

And what L numbers are really good at eating algae and look similar to (or as good as) an L066?

I'm also looking for a type that don't grow huge.

Thank you :)

Hi Chels,

I have 5 x L66 in a 2ft at the moment growing out, plenty of caves and driftwood to hide so they get along really well. Mind you they only get active (feeding) when the lights go out, I see them run around the bottom sometimes but they are not as much present like my L168's or pepps.

I feed them Sera Viformo tablets, Marine Cuisine Frozen Fish Food, Once in a while a bit of flake and they seem to do really well, i've tried algae wafers etc but they really dont care for it, dont even go near it!

I've got plenty of water movement in my tank and the ph sits around 6.8

Another popular pleco that looks a bit like it is the L333, pretty common these days and therefore more affordable as well!

Cheers

Wow, L333 looks exactly the same to me!

Thanks Joep, I'll have a look into those.

I'm still thinking of getting an L066 just cause I like them so much.

Bu if I fins something similar that will eat algae that would be perfect :)

To my knowledge the L066's won't touch algae cause as you mentioned above they require a diet of mostly protien, tbh some bnose would be your best bet, i've had a quick flick through the back to nature guide for L# and most of the black and white striped fish are hypans sorry :(

what else is in the tank?

Thanks for that frinkie :)

Yeah I think you're right on that one.

That's ok though. I've already got a couple of bns in the tank so I'll just keep them in there.

And I think I'll get an L066 anyway cause I love them so much heheh.

At the moment all I've got in the four foot is an ebjd and the bns.

Your welcome,

I'm not sure how well the jd'll go with the L# but if its not giving the bnose a hard time it'd be ok :)

hit up tech den, he's got some reallllyyy nice L066's and might have some ready for sale.

Michael

The ebjd is only 3.5 inch at the moment.

But he's always ignored bottom dwellers, hate's other fish but doesn't take any notice of anything that hangs around the bottom.

Yep the tech den (john) is who I've been talking to and lucky for me he lives 5 mins down the road :D