goldenswimmers

Anyone keeping barra in a brackish setup???

Hey guys,

I have just gotten my first barra and having done a bit of researching,some sources are saying they do better in a brackish enviroment...Just looking for some opinions,experiences.I am aware they can live in a freshwater set up but if they prefer a brackish enviroment then I would look at setting this up.Also best tank mates for a brackish set up?...would scats be ok with this guy and are there any other big guys that could go in a brackish that are native?....

Barra that live in dams that are inland and mainly up north are freshwater with no chance of salt.. Then there are ones that live purely in saltwater creeks and go out to sea to meet the bigger females and spawn and also change sex im pretty sure.. If it was bred in freshwater then id stick with fresh.. Correct me if im wrong by all means thats just my knowledge which may not be much. :)

Cheers Keegan,....unfortunately all barra can live in both but without saltwater they dont reproduce so cant be bred in freshwater....the ones in freshwater head down to the estuary to lay eggs,etc and this is where all the babies are born...pretty much all baby barra are born in "brackish" estuaries...the ones in freshwater dams cant breed....Im looking to see if anyone here has kept them in both freshwater and brackish and seen a difference...or changed from one to the other for any reason..

Hey Brent, finally got a culling machine eh! nice work. I have known quite a few growing to 50/60 cm in full fresh, woiuld probably grow larger in brackish/salt but for ease I would keep him full fresh.

*was just writing you a PM, been trying to spawn my ranchu, my 2 boys wiht your calico girl. I was hoping the cold snap over last week & warner weathe rover weekend would get em going but they dont seem interested....

freshwater are stocked impoundments...most aus creek caught species will go fresh/brackish and colouration can differ on tanins,feed ect..i think what you maybe wanting is an easy care saltwater looking barra in the fresh,just feed it saltwater food,prawns from woolies is cheapest,variation is king,natural feed,nearly all natives either go to the salt or vice versa to rid themselves of parasites,breed ect