dnjglover2111

Water Temperature too high!!!

I know we are coming into winter and this is not really an issue at the moment, but during the summer months the temp of my water can rise well into the 30's. I was putting frozen bottles of water in my tank to keep it as cool as possible (not sure if that was the right thing to do) but does anyone else have a better way of dealing with this problem??

Aside from buying a chiller, moving the tank to somewhere cooler, not using lights or making a homemade chiller , using frozen water bottles seems to be the only option however for me because of the amount of frozen water needed this only ever worked for me on small tanks....I guess the only other option in qld or other hot places is to have only really cheap fish that can't stand high temps.my Americans had no probs HTH

Mat

How many tanks ? And where are they ? House Shed ? Single tanks or a system ?

You can open doors and windows. Dont have tank in direct sunlight use a fan and take hoods and glass lids off tanks

but it depends on above questions

Fish Junkie

All you need is more water surface movement ;) add more air to your water (warm water has less oxygen), take the lids off your tank n let the water evapourate :) this will cool your tanks down and be WAY less costly than a chiller! I use to have all my tanks in a colourbond shed and they hit 33-35*C in summer. I did the above and had them sitting at 29-30* on even the 40+ days :cool:

Edit: Just remember, the more evapouration, the more water you need to top up. On the 40+ days I'd loose between 1"-2" in a single day but my fish where Happy :)

Edited by Merkinater
Info Added

I take the glass lids off the tank and replace them with egg crate, so the inhabitants don't jump out and leave the hood lid open at all times.

Put a fan in the cabinet so it blows breeze over the sump surface, put in bottles of ice in the sump (does little I think).

Wrap the output hose and uv sterilzer from the sump with frozen techni ice sheets, wrap a towel around them to keep the cold in. Keep the blinds closed and run the ceiling fan on full.

Of a nighttime, open all the windows and blinds near the tank, take advantage of the cool night air, leave the ceiling fan on.

If you use a canister filter, depending on it's size, I would try putting the canister "IN" an esky and filling it with ice or techni ice sheets and cover the opening with a blanket or something to keep the cold in, before going to work..........worth a try (primitive chiller)

Thanks very much for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I have a 5ft (524litre) display tank and a 3ft (165 litre) tank. They are out of direct sunlight for most of the day in side the house but they do get the late afternoon sun for an hour or two but I can over come that by closing the blinds. I was leaving the lights off with the hood open, but I think I will try taking the hood right off and running the fan. I don't have air-conditioning in our house which makes it hard but a couple of fans may do the trick. I try to keep the doors and windows open as much as possible, but I can't be home all day 100% of the time. Putting the filters in an esky with ice sounds like a great idea too and I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks again for all your input.

Cheers :ewink:

Daniel