Hey peeps

i need to setup my 5x2x2 this weekend so that i can move some fishies into a new tank, my only issue is that i dont have any spare cycled filters (normally i do but i just used my last one to set another quarantine tank .

so what i was gonna do was

i currently have a seperation/q tank with a corner filter filled with dacron and biomedia (marbles) (home to some sevs atm)

i was gonna take half of the media out of this filter and stick it in a pipe filter i have made (normally i use my biomedia and dacron to fill it) with the additional media and transfer say 1 or 2 sevs into the new tank (filled with rainwater).

just thinking i have probably 3 other filters i could also steal seeded media from

my ph is at about 6 atm, so this should make the ammonia less dangerous towards the fish (the lower your ph, the less dangerous ammonia becomes to your fish), so i was also thinking of dropping the ph lower (down to about 5) to help with this.

if anyone can point out any flaws in my plans i'd like to hear them,

thanks

Cav

i always try to have 1 or 2 bio-filters extra in my tanks, this helps by moving them into a new tank, also if i don't have a spare on, i'll either squeeze a used one into the new tank or swap it for a new one and put the seeded one into the new tank,

cheers everyone for the replies

ok this is what ive decided i'll do.....

im gonna transfer the corner filter from the seperation tank into the 5x2x2 which will be running an addition "pipe" style filter filled with media scavanged from seeded fillters.

then i'd be checking water params to make sure everything was ok

then i'll add the four 5cm sevs from the seperation tank into the 5x2x2 assuming wp are correct.

ill be adding stablity and prime when i fill it and then im guessing daily waterchanges with it too for the first week or so

then ill slowly add another fish every few days til they're all in there.

cheers for the help so far guys

Cav

Can't you buy a bag of pebble substrate that have all of the good bacteria I'n it already? If I'n doubt innerhealth plus ;) have you had your good bacteria today?

probably can,

but this is gonna tank is gonna be home to about 20 juvie Geo sp. Araguaia orange heads and some sevs until I choose the ones i want for my breeders,

so its gonna have sand in it, and lots of tangly driftwood too.

Cav