is bamboo suitable caves for peps? just seems alot cheaper to get a piece of bamboo from bunnings and cut it up.

does bamboo rot underwater? is there any special pre treatment? I'm thinking of using aquarium silicon and rolling it in gravel to help it stay down. is there a better way?

hey mate, should be okay for peps, ive got pieces in with other BN, all i did to treat it was put it in a bucket with tank water for a day, then dry in the sun another day then start putting them in tanks one or 2 at a time, you dont want to put too many in at once cos the bamboo gets a slimiy film on it which BN and cherry shrimp love to eat but if there isnt enough things eating it your water quality will drop. I also sell bamboo pre cut and treated so let me know if you want any, i have heaps.

you could easily do that, i just reckon bamboo looks better in the tank. The pipe would work just the same. BTW from what i hear bunnings sells bambo caves or pieces for $20+ each, i sell them for $2.50 and they are double ended. GL with the pepps anyway :)