How do you get your water softer?

Ive seen a magnet thing. City farmers had one and you put a hose either side of it and it attracts all the metals and stuff and meant to make it good for discus and Americans?

Whats another way of making it softer?

Seachem Stability, Prime and time. Cant soften your water overnight.

wont do shit to soften your water

and on not being able to soften water overnight i beg to differ

with an RO unit you can make water softer straight away.

as wickkyjr said before ial/ketapang leaves, peat, and dw in comination with rainwater or RO water is the best way to soften your water.

Cav

oops forgot rain water :P. bet yeah API do a kh/gh test kit. I got mine from RPC.

Also if you add peat to your tank. i used to add it to my substrate. Boil it in water

for a bit and let it cool.when you add it most of it will sink straight to the bottom and

not float. Or just put it in a fine media bag and put it in ur sump/cannister.

It wont make it got murky if you boil it first and then drain it, get the little crap

out first. but it will make it go the tannis colour. Pretty sure you can buy macropore gold?

which says it will soften the water aswell apprently

Yeah but not everyone has a few hundred to go splash out on an RO unit. and the chemicals will age the water, and remove the harsh chems. Sure its not the ideal way, nor is it super effective, but its the cheapest, and its better than nothing.

:):):)

thanks guys, we have just been going through the same thing, got our first discus the other day and 3 more today, our water was around 8ph, great for africans but deadly to discus, we did the almond leaves, dw, some ph down, added some rain water and will be getting peatmoss asap, water went from 8ph down to 6.5, first 2 small discus have started to colour back up and are now swimming around and feeding, the other 3 have only been in their new tank for about 2 hours so they are still a bit shy,

thanks for the great info,

(edit by me, i know you are talking about hardness, but it also works for lowering the ph, )

Edited by steveandjules

i got my water test for general hardness and its not discus quality. lol. so might invest in the magnet. 2 of my friends are getting the magnet next week so ill see how it works and if it works well i might buy one.

my ph is about 7.6 atm :(

want it down around 6.4 for my uaru and discus.

A person whom is no longer on this site once told me if you want soft water you either use RO or Rainwater. I thought I knew better and would add various softening agents. His best words of advice was "I can tell you how to get soft water but it is better that you work it out for yourself" this member was a very wise person and thank him for his help and has tuaught me life lessons. Yes add your driftwood - becareful of peat as it can go off. If it is in a box, bag or needs to have a lid screw off I doubt that it will work and would strongly suggest not to use it.

Chasing a dragon guys. My ph i wouldn't care if it sat on 8 (it may actually...). Hardness is a different story. Peat wont soften the water much, Rainwater will, but there can be downsides to that as well. RO is the best and easiest by far. IMO and most discus breeders, unless you are attempting to breed WILD discus, Ph is no issue.

A person whom is no longer on this site once told me if you want soft water you either use RO or Rainwater. I thought I knew better and would add various softening agents. His best words of advice was "I can tell you how to get soft water but it is better that you work it out for yourself" this member was a very wise person and thank him for his help and has tuaught me life lessons. Yes add your driftwood - becareful of peat as it can go off. If it is in a box, bag or needs to have a lid screw off I doubt that it will work and would strongly suggest not to use it.

Totally agree!! I learnt that lesson as well. How is the big fella, He scared the crap outta me at Mooloolaba the other day..lol

is this what you are talking about, my wife really wants to get into discus and she wants to do the best she can for them,

will this one work,

3-stage portable reverse osmosis water filter purifier | eBay

Is she wanting to breed them? Are they adults? If you use RO water on discus that aren't fully grown..they wont grow and will fall sick easily. Running soft water in fishtanks can be a double edged sword. Discus will grow better and in better health in harder water.

But yes... that RO filter will work to soften the water. Looks to be cheap Shite but will work till it falls apart. Aquarium Reverse Osmosis Units - PSI WATER FILTERS

Thats the filter I use and it hasn't ever missed a beat.

2 are still babys, the new 3 are about 10cm/12cm, they are in seperate tanks,

we are running 6.5 ph, but the water is hard, not sure exactly how hard, but its about 80% town water and 20% rainwater, we were more concerned about the ph then the hardness,

2 are still babys, the new 3 are about 10cm/12cm, they are in seperate tanks,

we are running 6.5 ph, but the water is hard, not sure exactly how hard, but its about 80% town water and 20% rainwater, we were more concerned about the ph then the hardness,

Well you should be more concerned about hardness than PH. Ph and hardnes are related, If you want a lower ph, lower your hardness and your ph will follow suit. The more you add to the water the worse it will be for your fish. I dont remember the last time i checked Ph. But i check hardness daily.

How did the big pussy cat scare ya rexy. Was it his new tats..lol - He is as good as possible.

Have a comercial RO unit that I no longer need so if someone is interested let me know. 3 stage with 2 iron exchange units so call it 5 stage if you want..

He yelled out his truck window while i was fixin a window on walan st. nearly gave me heart attack..lol