I'm having a massive algae and snail explosion and I really can't figure out why. I can't even figure out what the algae is! It started as dark brown spots on the edges of leaves which couldn't be removed even by scraping with a fingernail. It doesn't really look like the images of black spot algae I see online.

Anyway, then it moved from my baby tears to my amazon sword, java fern and eventually even my anubia. Then hair-like algae grew in the same spots up to maybe 2cm long. I also got some beard algae in places and some green hair algae which are both easily removed. At the same time, I have had a snail explosion. I went from seeing a couple of pond snails around which always got crushed, to seeing maybe 3 types of small snail everywhere.

Now, I've never had much/any of an algae problem. I know I probably overfeed my fish by accident, however it's never caused an issue. I have a 1200lph canister filter on my 80L tank. It was *clean*. Regular water changes etc. I recently added a new 20W light so there are now about 2W/gal on my tank because I had a nicely planted tank. I was using flourish and flourish excel for that reason though since getting the algae issue I stopped with the flourish and only use excel, now every day since I read somewhere that helps.

For the past week I haven't had any fish in there besides 2 adult bristlenose and some fry in the cave so there hasn't even been any fish food floating around as I figure the BNs have enough bloody algae. I also did a 50% water change last week and regular 10% changes since then.

I'm at my wits end, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this. I am ready to rip everything out and start again because it all looks like crap. I'm sorry this is long but I'm going crazy, does anyone have any suggestions?