ashimus

tanks running by fx5s?

i recently purchased an fx5(from matt off the forum) I LOVE IT! took a while to setup and there was a little leak(didnt stick the intake on tight enough WHOOPS!) but i sussed that out and it is AMAZING! its running my 6x2x2 no probs and the tank is getting cleaner by the hour my saratoga loves the flow it makes but my swordtails arent overly keen on the new waves to ride!

my questions to you are

1 how big is the tank your running off your fx5?(wondering what size people use it up too)

2 what fish are in it?(getting an idea on what fish the general public like :D )

3 how often do you clean the media and filter sponges?(i have no idea)

4 lastly do you do a normal waterchange or do you use the hose attachment?(is it any good)

4 I do 50% a fn( i know im slack i just dont like carting buckets around!) but now with the fluval i can use the hose so will go to about 30% a week!

3 Havent done it yet thats why im asking so i can get a rough idea on how often i should!

2 saratoga leicharti(25cm) 2xL gold sevs(20cm) 1 oscar(25cm) 2 green sevs 15cm a pearl(12cm) goldspot(16cm) 2clown loaches at 10cm and about 20 swordtails.

1 my 6x2x2

LOVE the fx5 and the self priming feature!

i only have bioballs and ceramic noodles in mine and clean it every 4 to 5 months. no fine sponge to get dirt and gunk stuck (except the sponges it came with) on so water flow is really good. mines hooked up to an 18 watt uv sterilser. tank 6x2x2

Cant go wrong mate. The size tank you can run them on depends how stocked the tank is. Some people have them on lightly stocked 8ft's but i wouldnt go much more than that cause there would be too much unfiltered space.

As for cleaning the guts of it, same thing, depends on the stock. If they shit alot, clean it more often, if not prolongue it.

The massive marble fenny at city farmers mitchleton is running an fx5. Bill cleans it twice a year.

Have a few, but use 2 on a 6x2x2 with a bit over 400 peacocks in it. Clean them once every 2 months, staggered. Water change at least once week. Standard coarse outer sponge, centre bits filled with cheap ceramic rings, matrix and cintered glass noodles. Works well for me.

Oh yeah i never said, I have an fx5 on the 4ft in my signiature... Completely shits on the old aquis1200 i had on it. Used to have to clean that at least once a fortnight. Fx5 has been running at least 6 or 7 weeks and havent cleaned it once.

ill do mine in 2-3 weeks and see how dirty it is :D and stick up with the waterchanges whats your opinion on the hose opion people? or do you do your regular buckets?

donny 400 peacocks thats crazy!!! what do you have running your umbees tank and how big is his tank?? is it normal to do what kane does if you have a UV steralizer?

corbiii - my female looks like the one in your avatar but shes about 16-18cm and my male is 20cm and hes a nice big one and i got a little one @ 8cm make an offer

plecnose is an L397 the one in your avatar?

1 how big is the tank your running off your fx5? Mines on a 6' x 18" x 18" tank ( with another external filter added )

2 what fish are in it? African cichlids the list on my signature

3 how often do you clean the media and filter sponges? Monthly , Alternating between the 2 filters

4 lastly do you do a normal waterchange or do you use the hose attachment? Normal weekly water changes and give it a flush every 2 weeks

Even though the FX5 are a good filter i still wouldnt run it on its own with big fish or a big stock list

Terry

We have an 8x 3w x 2h Aquarium. We run 2 FLUVAL FX5's on it. They're awsome filters!!! we do about a 25 - 50% waterchange every couple of months and clean out filters every 6 months. Never had a problem! We have a small comunal set up of africans atm and a few flagtails and a pak. loach. We have two because of the volume of the tank it does take a while to do a water change and a gravel clean, but these filters seem to stay on top of it very well for us!!

yer i use a hose also and i use a steriliser more to keep algae down in my tank. i have a blue light for my fronnies and algae growth was crazy till i got steriliser. it also kills bacteria but if you do regular water changes you would be fine without one.