ok, im building a new rack thought i might post some pics as i go.

this rack is gonna have three tanks which i am building myself

i have a pile of glass i have already cut to size.

i will drill and plumb the tanks with two overflow pipes each to run to a sump.

the overflows are 25mm poly fittings, with strainers on the ends, one drawing water from low in the tank one from the surface , i will have pics of the plumbing later

tank sizes are as follows (they are odd sizes cause i used the glass i had)

top- 1080x530x600h

middle-1020x530x530h

bottom-1170x530x530h

the stand has 50x50x2mm legs

the rails and cross supports are 40x40x2mm

i also used 1/2inch x 2 unc bolts as adjustable feet

heres the pic

001Small.jpg

i will have the first tank in place within a week, stay tuned

OK.

its been a busy day

heres a pic of the first tank, (which i had already sitting here),

its standing on its end with the guide plate in place for the 35mm diamond hole saw

I run the hose gently on the bit while i drill it with a cordless drill, its pretty slow going and you have to take you time towards the end of the hole

newrackSmall.jpg

i forgot to take pics of the drilling process, ill get some next tank

heres the stand all level and with tank in place

newrack004Small.jpg

i got the poly fittings this morning one pickup deep and one surface

dont forget to drill a good size hole to break the syphon of the deep pickup

newrack003Small-1.jpg

here is the fittings in the end of the tank

newrack005Small.jpg

more next weekend

nice setup george,

im keen on building a 3 teir fry rack to hold 12 2x1ft tanks, only thing im not confident about is drilling the tanks.........it concerns me that i will crack one or that one will crack from the water pressure against it, how safe really is it to drill tanks??

have you ever heard of any tanks cracking around the hole at any point after being re-filled???

and who made the stand??? looks neat

Christo

i drill my tanks no closer than 60mm from the edges of the glass.

Ive drilled tanks as this as 6mm glass, ive never broken a tank while drilling, but once i cracked a 6nn panel cause i tightend a fitting too much, it was one of the first tanks i drilled.

as long as the tank is sitting of a good stand and the pipes arent putting any pressure on the glass there should be no problems.

Drilling tanks takes a little patients and a steddy hand.

if you are buying the tanks new, talk to your supplier im sure they wouldnt charge too much to drill them for you.

The stand i made myself, the legs are 50x50x2 rhs the rails and cross bars are 40x40x1.6 rhs.

:D

Its not that hard Chris

Just use a block of wood like George did

And keep the bit wet , You can soak the block of wood aswell to help keep the bet wet as well

but if you are not shore drill a few holes in an old pice of glass

And take your time till u think you have it down pat

Roo

very nice work m8 :D i will definitely be referring back to this thread when i go to make my own sump filtration system! one question ... those fittings for the deep & shallow pickups... do you get them from a plumbing supply place or an aquarium?

cheers.

so do places like aquariumsrus drill tanks???

Christo

Yes they do, I've seen the "holes" scattered about the place. Don't know if they only drill their own tanks or not though.

What sort of holesaw do you use?

Its not that hard Chris

Just use a block of wood like George did

And keep the bit wet , You can soak the block of wood aswell to help keep the bet wet as well

but if you are not shore drill a few holes in an old pice of glass

And take your time till u think you have it down pat

Roo

im usually pretty adventurus with DIY stuff but im not to keen on drilling a 6ft aquarium then having to replace a 6x1ft panel of glass when i fudge it up :D lmao

Christo

You should of been at out last club meeting Christo. We learnt how to drill and build a new tank. Was really interesting. I am a member of QAH and we meet at Caboolture on the 3rd Friday of the month at 8pm if you are interested. It is a good way to meet peeps and also learn a few things all about the hobbie. If you wanna know more just pm me. The next meeting is this Friday

Pm sent tabbycat, thanx for the offer ;)

i looked at the price of glass today, was looking at approx $450 to build a 6ft x 1ft out of 10mm glass..................i could buy one already made for 2/3 of that.................... :cry:

Christo

i looked at the price of glass today, was looking at approx $450 to build a 6ft x 1ft out of 10mm glass..................i could buy one already made for 2/3 of that.................... :cry:

Christo

this is a problem, the retail markup on glass is big, BIG..

you could find a glass merchant (wholesaler) and offer to buy off cuts for cash, you might get lucky and strike up a deal, but you'll have to take the off-cuts and trim them , and cut them to size (another tricky thing)

you can buy two 6x2x2 tanks in brisbane for less than the price of the glass cut to size to make one 6x2x2 in coffs harbour. 8O and most tank suppliers will drill them for a small additional cost

i will drive up and buy my next big tank in qld