crimsontide

my bristlenose is fanning the eggs in a cave

hi yesterday i saw my female bristlenose being in cave with my male today i looked in and i saw yellow eggs in there do snyone can hwlp me what can i do?? do i leave them in the tank when will they born?? what do i feed them with?? and all information will be appreciated thank you

I have a bristlenose in his cave fanning eggs right now, every time we do a water change they head there and lay eggs! The eggs will hatch in about 5 days and live off their yolk for a while, the male meanwhile fans the water around them so that the eggs don't get fungus on them. He will continue to look after the babies and will guard the cave until they are able to leave the cave and feed. I did read that the babies will leave off the faeces of the male after they have exhausted the egg yolks on their bodies. I think they will be in the cave for a few weeks before they are big enough to leave.

As to will other bristlenose attack the babies, I have common bristlenose so I can only comment on them and I have over 60 (started with 3 and they bred) in my 6 foot tank and no they do not attack or eat the babies. Common Bristlenose are herbivores, I feed mine spirulina or algae wafers and zuchini and have not had to clean my tank of algae since I have had them.

HTH

All good info above ^^I will add, they stay in the log for approx 1week once hatched, they need the parents poo to kickstart their stomach acids n ammune systems :) The adults will only cannibalise if they fry are sick or dead.

Good Luck with your fry :)

Tim