bidkev

Wolfy and friend

Cav...............I rather think it's a male although sometimes it colours up like some females. The dots above and below the lateral line usually signify male as does the commencement of a nuchal hump, although I haven't seen a male as deep in the body before.........males tend to be slender like the lower of the two. It's also twice the size of the other despite them being the same age. I thought at first it was a female but now I'm leaning towards male................although it's anyone's guess till it's bigger. I've seen females marked like this and it seems to change, depending on it's mood.

kane..............They're in a 8x2x2 along with one big male marbled Fenny, female Jag, female festae, and female cuban. there was a Tex and a polleni in there early on but the cuban saw 'em off............things seemed to have settled down for now.

Another shot

fishes54.jpg

Edited by bidkev

thats awesome, any chance of a whle tank shot? (or is their one somewhere already)

It's very difficult to get the whole 8ft into one shot. I can use a wide angle but that just makes it look smaller as a wide angle lens throws the image further back. I've also got tanks on the wall opposite which reflect into the 8 footer..........but I'm working on it........watch this space.

kev

whats the size of the bigger one, I can make a decision on the sex. time will tell. The bottom one looks to be male too.

There ya go.............side by side. The one on the right is 20cms and the one on the left 15cms, both the same age

dovii-1.jpg

She's struggling atm :( The bloody fenny is twice her size and sat right above her whilst the male has buggered off up the other end of the tank. the female cuban has took a battering from someone though..............I fear the worst for tomorrow. May have to get ém their own tank.

i told you kev, americans are not friendly towards each other the moment one of them releasing their hormones. do you have any dithers in the tank?

the most i had was 4 breeding pairs of different americans bred at the same time in the 7ftr.

She is definitely a nice specimen Kev. Hope the cuban recovers for ya. You have to love the spontaneous aggression of Americans though. I gave up keeping females in community tanks years ago as it is just a recipe for aggression sooner or later. It is hard enough at times just with the males.

She is definitely a nice specimen Kev. Hope the cuban recovers for ya. You have to love the spontaneous aggression of Americans though. I gave up keeping females in community tanks years ago as it is just a recipe for aggression sooner or later. It is hard enough at times just with the males.

I agree Brent, and if I'd have know their sex at the time, I wouldn't have put 'em in there..................dovii and jags ain't easy to sex when they're small............I thought I had all females apart for the riv.

No dithers mate. The last ones got swallows by the Jag and it took me over a week to get her back on pellets

I agree Brent, and if I'd have know their sex at the time, I wouldn't have put 'em in there..................dovii and jags ain't easy to sex when they're small............I thought I had all females apart for the riv.

True that Kev. Parachromis are definitely on the harder side when small. I find it helps to increase the odds by venting. I have had several times in the past where I would have bought a fish thinking it was male by looking at it but venting it before purchasing has proved otherwise. Some sellers though don't seem to appreciate the hassle of this process. Needless to say that is an automatic end to the sale.