steve6610

whats the chance of keeping these americans together

1x green terror, 1x red terror, 6x geo red humps, 6x Brasiliensis, maybe a convict or 2,

i have these growing up at the moment, most are still under 3cm, apart from the gt, i know i will have to take out a couple geo's and brasils as they grow, but whats the chance of these different types getting on together in 1 tank,

i have 2 x 6ft, 1 x 5ft and a few 4ft tanks to choose from to keep them in when they get bigger,

any advice would be great,

the other option would be to keep the geo red humps in a species tank and keep the others in a 6ft,

also have 4 jd suspected males that i can add to the tank,

ive done it only lost a few small redhumps

but i dont minde if i loose a few ;(

likeing your fish hey

yep liljohn, loving them at the moment, just thinking ahead as to which ones we will keep, we only want 1 display tank with big americans, the gt is now with our 4jds and a couple red jewels in a 5fter, with a couple plecos, he has settled in well, the rt and geos are in a smaller tank with our braslis,

glad you like the brasils

brazils scare me, and festae scare everyone.... and you should never turn your back on a convict - with or without a knife.

I had redhumps in with africans for many years, and they never won brawls. Had to keep even the largest ones away from kingpin mbuna.

rivulatus too, tend to be sweet hearts UNTIL they pair up and breed.

but it all comes down to the individual fish, stocking levels, sizes and tank setup.

thanks donny,

i think i like the idea of keeping the geos on their own, i have 6 of them (thanks liljohn) and another 4 that belong to somebody who has to pick them up, if not, i'll have 10,

that leaves the 2 terrors and 7 braslis, might see how things go with these,

lol @ the convict comment, i have a breeding pair and heaps of fry, so they can go anywhere, most likely just in a 4ft tank,

I agree with liljohn...Im liking your fish so ....if you cut down by selection or if an all out brawl breaks out...I'd love to jump in on some americans ;)

go the maroons

we just might take you up on your offer, in the end we most likely won't keep all the 7 brasilis or the 6/10 geos, i'm sure we can work out a swap later on for some goldfish,

Mate I have 1 large green terror, 5 braziliensis, 5 firemouths, 5 araguaia's, 2 big araguaia's and 2 Bolivian rams I'n my tank and they all play nice. If anything the only fighting I have is between the 2 larger araguaia's. They are all I'n a 4 x 2 x 2 together. Looks really cool too.

look a large red terror MAY shred convicts if it catches them.

And brazils CAn be jerks if they decide too

I think you are lucky to have 2 tanks, and no matter what ya choose to try, you'll prob end up swapping fish between tanks to get the perfect mix anyways lol

hahaha and thats a bad thing if he catches the convicts, :)

lol, seems like i might be using more then 2 tanks, i have a couple 6ft and a couple 4ft, but really only want to use 2 at the most for our lg americans,

at this stage they are all babies, so i have a little while before i need to worry, only the green terror has any size about him, and he is with some large plecos and jds,

i have plenty of tanks from 2ft to 6ft, but i'm really wanting to get a few africans, so in the end i most likely won't keep many big americans, maybe just a few in 1 6fter,

thanks for everybodys advice, now i think its time to just grow them and see how they turn out, :)

Donny has provided some spot on advice as usual. Brasilies can be jerks but full grown males are stunning, you should see dad of your babies, only 18cm but already showing awesome potential.

What im about to suggest will involve buying more fish but i think will look great and may work. Riv, 2 jds, 3 or 4 cons, festae, texas and a jag. I can help you out with a couple of free jags if that idea interests you.

thanks for the offer ronny, its very kind, i will have a think about what i'm going to end up doing and let you know, at the moment i have some tanks that need setting up and connecting to a sump, then i'll have a look to see what i'm putting where,

we have 6/7 of your brasilies left and i'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out, it was the pics of your male that got me interested in them, and to get some from him was even better, its just a shame we didn't have the room to keep them all, :),

Sorry for the confusion but the pic i put up was an old male, but i believe this male has the potential to be even better. I still have 8 babies from that batch myself as i believe the next generation will be show stoppers. Im breeding to improve the nuchal hump on the brasilies and when in breeding mode the female has quite a nice bump so fingers crossed.

thanks for the 2 jags ronny, :), they have settled in now with our 4 jds, 1 green terror, some large plecos, 1 lg black ghost knife and a couple smaller fish, now to grow them and maybe get a texas later on,

the red terror and braslis are seperate due to being a little small,