kasman

Neolamprologus Tretocephalus - what are your thoughts?

Hey guys

I saw these at Smiths the other day, mature fish for a pretty good price.

Considering putting a few in a 3x18x18 I'm about to set up.

Just wondering what people think of them and who has them??

From what I've read they seem a good alternative to frontosa for those of us who dont have big tanks :).

yea I prefer them to fronnys and sexfas

they are a lot more bluff, remind me of firemouth and ellioti that way

VERY pretty fry too

they get along quite well with smaller mbuna, but can get dominated pretty bad by super large or aggro mbuna..... I dont reccomend them for tanks with lots of melanochromis, or full sized zebra types for example. But they work pretty well with most stuff.

cool. sounds like you guys like them. To me they just looked like a juvie fronny.

Smiths have some really nice looking stock, around 4 inches, 3 for $75. Thought this was a pretty good deal for a LFS as Iv seen em for sale on here for $30 each.

Can you think of any mid/top swimming tangs that would work with them??

Iv heard princess can look after themselves, so they might be good take mates then by the sounds of it.

and yeh, i did some searches for trets on here and it didnt come up with much for sale recently,

when fronny fry are buy one get one free these days lol.

Would love some frons though, but poor old me and my small tank syndrome.

i have one with my malawis (mostly melanochromis), he is fine and is friends with a large leleupi.

i have a polystigma and an eyebiter with him which stay near the top most of the time.

Just goes to show how different everyones experience with them is.

I have had a lot of smaller fish end up in the mouths of stigs before including leleupi lol

But ya 2 people can do opposite thing and still succeed.

Thats the essence of fish keeping and the very thing that makes it so difficult to get the 'right' answer to any question.

Theres a dozen right answers, and like bible passages, they tend to conflict terribly with each other lol

you been reading your bible again man...

but thats the handy thing when the verses conflict,

you get to choose the one that suits you and dismiss the other as not to be taken literally lol.

but seriously, It feels like nails down a blackboard mixing tangs and malawi's for me.

For some reason just dont like it. Everything needs to be from the same place.

that must be a disorder of some kind im sure.

Trets rock, I have had them for the past 5-6years.

poor mans fronnies indeed, the poor man is one that has never kept these stunners..

BUT at that size they are adults, they MIGHT play nice, They Might pair up, I would prefer to get 10 juvies ~5cm and wait until they pair up, and then keep them in a tank as a pair,....your 3x18x18 would be a minimum....for a pair of fish.. At 4 inches i would guess they are all males, my female might be 4 inches now, she is about 4 years old, and has had heaps of fry...my male is a good 5 inches long and an inch plus deep in the body, he would snap a princess brichardi..

I keep my breeders in a 3x2x18h tank he dominates her for 6-8 weeks, she take control of her pot again for ~4 weeks, they spawn, 100-400 fry are produced and are free swimming after 10 days.. They are great parents during the day, at night he likes to have a few snacks!! lol I remove most of the fry at 9 days old.

Thay make awsome community tank fish in biggish tanks if you get a few, they capture light in pics very nicely. As for comparing them with fronnies they are more active, dont get a fugly head hump, or a sucked in looking gut. They are sooks!!! as mentioned, they can be dominated by other fish easy enough, unless they are a pair with fry, like all neolamps, they have decent little fangs, and will get nasty. They dont play well with each other, males and males etc esp when at breeding size, smaller up to 7cm they are usually ok.

this is my computer background.

DSC_0014_edited.jpg

they fight each other

DSC_0066_editedLarge.jpg

They are great parents, with awsome colour

tretparents.jpg

they have heaps of fry

tretfry3.jpg

Edited by trofius

wow, I love that top photo.

Very keen to get some now.

Yeah, they are awesome fish Tret, some people call them 5 bars fronny.

I keep my with Mbuna Malawi community tank and he is fine, no-one pick on him and he doesn't pick on others either.

Here is the picture of him when I got him at 4cm but now he is about 7.5 to 8cm. Cheers

Ryan

Tret.jpg

cool. sounds like you guys like them. To me they just looked like a juvie fronny.

Smiths have some really nice looking stock, around 4 inches, 3 for $75. Thought this was a pretty good deal for a LFS as Iv seen em for sale on here for $30 each.

Can you think of any mid/top swimming tangs that would work with them??

No, I saw a few for $10 each at Stafford in Northside long ago on special so go there again to check it out but I can't remember what is the shop name but right on Stafford Rd. Cheers

I got a question, can these guys go with Hongi and cobalt blues? am interested in these guys.

Jesse

Depend how big is your tank and how many fishes in there, as long as there are plenty of hiding places and not a big differences in size then should be fine. Good luck Cheers

I love trets too. beatifull fish and i would take one over fronts any day. wouldnt mind breeding them aswell.

Ive got a juvie one in my 4ft community that i got from ryan at neptunes (probably from your pair trofius! :D) Mine gets bullied a bit and doesnt show his full colour. These are actually mollusc eaters and instead of fangs they have more like crushing plates... they love those little snails.

026-1-1.jpg?t=1306632045

This is one of his better pics. hes about...hmm...60mm?

Edited by Cooder