dexxl

fish out of water

temp 24, ph 8.2 (brisbane tap water), half teaspoon epsom salts, half teaspoon pool salt, all other parameters safe. I've got other fish in the tank as well and non of them are showing symptoms of DO sickness..

they've been in the same condition for the last 2 months with no problems... just today, i used to have a floating driftwood but took that out about 5 days ago.

temp 24, ph 8.2 (brisbane tap water), half teaspoon epsom salts, half teaspoon pool salt, all other parameters safe.

This isn't an ideal enviroment for Peps, they like acidic water 5.5-7, they will tolerate 8 but won't be happy. Plus too much salt isnt good for them as they absorbs it through their skin (no scales, you need to be careful dosing n not just the "she'll be right" method). There is obviously something else wrong with your tank for 7 to die n float...... Did you do a clean in the last couple days? Filter clean? (possible spike). Check n post up your parameters. Also check your heater is working as it got cold last night.

Edited by Merkinater

I notice in your pic up the top that they are not in a glass tank, may i ask what they are being housed in ??

It may be that the "enclosure" is leaching something...is that weld penetration i see in the top right corner ??

+1 for Tims advice too :)

Im now steering clear of salt with cats... my L 202's were doing this before they died,i found all over the web L cats cant handle any salt,

no idea about the peps though :S

i found out the hard way of adding a pinch of aqua salt to there 2 footer.

maybe a thread should b made on fish safe or not safe with salts as a fair few would not know including me.

the tank is made from 2 marine ship windows with aluminum flat sheet, rolled and welded onto them. Tonight, my brichardi started dropping off too. 6 of them have died... the water parameters are perfect for tangs, my nitrate, nitrite and ammonia is the lowest on the test strip. I've added melafix into the tank about 4 hours before they started dying incase the catfish left anything behind...

i really don't know what is going on, i'm hoping they make it til morning. My calvus seem to be not affected at all..

tomorrow i'm removing all the gravel in the tank.

Your goin to have to keep an eye on your parameters as this will ster up all the gunk n cause a Spike. Also I'm not 100% but the aluminum could be leaching "metals/chemicals" into the water as aluminum is a very porous metal and can absorb different chemical (including Salt as its a Marine ship window ;)) which will transfer back into your tank.

I would cut my losses n buy a new tank if your fish keep dying......

Keep up the updates.

Tim

They may have internal parasites attacking their internal organs, that's prob why they were above the waterline trying to breath, I could be wrong......

This could also explain why the 7 dead peps floated within a 24hr period... Parasites bloated their stomachs/organs maybe?... I've never had a dead fish float... Never let them decomp long enough to float, something is speeding up the process...?