kasman

What do you keep your nitrates below??

Depends on the tank.... but I try for below 40ppm as a rule on freshwater.

Less on breeding tanks (to trigger spawns) or fry growout tanks (they grow faster in low nitrates) or aggressive displays (because high nitrates turns them into murdiddly-urderers!)

Once it gets to 80ppm you know you have been too lazy OR that mulm is building up in gravel or filter.

Reef tanks I like 0.5ppm, but then I always did like disneyland

Well to fill in the story....

Iv got 40+ mbuna in my 4x18x18, all about 4-5cm.

Iv figured out that how many I keep all depends on what kind of water changes Im willing to do to get my nitrates to an acceptable level.

it was 5ppm on Tuesday, today its 10ppm. This is my first time testing so Im interested to see what its rate of increase is.

what food are you feeding?

Nitrate production is in a small way related to how much of the food a fish is able to digest. Interestingly, a fish fed the same diet will get better and better at extracting nutrition from it over time and excrete a smaller % as waste.

but I salute your technique

I do something very similar to work out my water change routine on quite a few tanks.

NLS with some frozen bloodworms.

hmm, thats an interesting thought with the food.

Similar thing with our dog, we used to buy him Eukanuba which was meant to limit the amount of waste and smell due to its high nutritional content. Because I like everyone else have got better things to do other than clean up dog poop. it worked too.

But he's on cheap stuff now cuz we cant afford it, and yes you can notice the difference lol.

So I never would have thought same with fish, but yes of course.

Well to fill in the story....

Iv got 40+ mbuna in my 4x18x18, all about 4-5cm.

Kasman,

JMO, but I reckon that's to many. Not saying ya wont keep em healthy in there, but dont believe you"ll get ya nitrates to an äcceptable" level with that many fish in that amount of water.

Brendan

Kasman,

JMO, but I reckon that's to many. Not saying ya wont keep em healthy in there, but dont believe you"ll get ya nitrates to an äcceptable" level with that many fish in that amount of water.

Brendan

yep I agree mate, had plans to trim number down once I can sex them.

But hence the climbing nitrates and my refusal to do mid-week water changes this may be sooner rather than later lol.

Good trick with the bloodworm (not that I feed it too mbuna personally) is to defrost in a cup of aquarium water and then strain it thru a fine net.

Then feed the strained worms.

The juice (especially in cheaper brands than hikari) has a lot of nitrates and phosphates in it (all frozen food juice does) and because fish cant eat the juice part, its just going straight towards making the water quality worse.

If you are recording how much food you feed, and I mean EXACTLY (try using a medication clear cap measure thing, eg 15ml of nls) then you can find out how much food = how much nitrates in ya tank in a week.

It all sounds a bit tech, but I can pretty much be certain you feed more than ya need too (heck I feed at least 3 times more than I need to)

and if getting nitrates down is a priority for ya

then ya may just need to limit food a bit

remember, female mbuna got 3 weeks with no food when they get a mouthful!

Ya fish wont starve overnite.

reality is

we feed our filters

not our fish

as long as the fish have good condition

rounded bellys and thick meat along their back (as opposed to bad condition ~ sunken belly and knife edge back)

anyway as long as they have good condition they are getting enough food

Africans should always be hungry lol

but if their condition is good

they shouldnt always NEED to be fed

as much fun as feeding fish is

annnnnnnd its a lot of fun lol

heck its 11pm and I am about to go give my fishroom its 3rd feed today

I pay for it though

the more ya feed

the more they poo

the more ya water change

hahahahahaha

Sorry Kasman, IMO it's everything to do with filtration, as well as water volume.

Brendan

under filtration would mean you have excess amonia and nitrites right, not nitrates, if you got nitrates it means your filter is doing its job and converting the nitrites.

???? I think I got that right. But am I missing something??

And yep Donny, I do defrost the bloodworms in a small cup then tip the lot in. hmmm, might not be doing that now, and cant bothered straining them, sheesh. I would be whipped if I used anything in the kitchen for that.

I dont think my fish are fed too much (lol), Im VERY aware of overfeeding, Im at work all day so its only when I get home do they get a couple of pinches over a couple of hours. But I do spoil them in the weekend lol.

hmmm, but I'll be more aware of it now though, and hats off on the measured food amount nitrate level. I think I will carry that little experiment out hey, just what my OCD personality will take pleasure in. But srsly nice one.

Edited by kasman