dave

Aggressive CA/SA Stocking advice for 6x2x2

Just after any and all advice on potential stocking for my newly cycled tank.

I have a wishlist of fish i want or would like but would love to hear everyones suggestions.

Fish i would like

1 x Green Terror

1 x Jack Dempsey/1 x EBJD

1 X Salvini

2 x Firemouth

1 x Texas/1 x Red Terror

1 x Jaguar

1 x Nicuraguan

Do aggression levels stay lower without breeding pairs as i only want these guys for display not breeding.

I will have a clean up crew of bns and corys and dithers either rainbows or silver dollars

Thanks in advance

Dave :P

I'd be worried about the Jaguar and Texas in that mix, as aggressive specimens will kick the pants off of Firemouths and Nics. Definitely steer clear of the Festae (Red Terror), a Female might work but I'd be pretty confident a Male would wreak havoc. If you had an angry Salvini even it could tear your Firemouths a new one, especially a big male. I'd also avoid keeping Corydoras with Jaguars, they have huge mouths and even full grown Corydoras will fit into it, and will more than likely cause significant damage to both parties if a full grown Jag decides to have a snack.

I'm not a big fan of the aggressive Americans personally, so my comments may be a little misrepresented, so remember that it will always work on a Cichlid to Cichlid basis. If you do choose to go with that stocking I'd keep a close eye on it when the big boys start getting big.

i'd forget about the electricblue dempsey unless you already know where to get one... i've never seen one for sale in fish shops. i agree with japes about the corys (& rainbows)... they will be food for the managuence (jaguar cichlid) before very long. dovii & managuence has special internal jaws for pulverising fish spines so they aren't worried by a little spikeyness. the silver dollars might be ok if they are big enough. i've never needed dither fish in my american cichlid tank... they aren't afraid to come out in the open as much as they are afraid to piss the dovii off ;p

i reckon everything else you listed will be fine as long as you start off with juveniles & grow them up together. difficult to predict fish aggression though. i have festae (red terror), managuence, texas & jack dempsey in my 8x2x2 tank & they all get along with a bit of push & shove. i should add that i also had a rivulatus (green terror) in there too until a few weeks ago when my dovii just suddenly decided it was food & ate it. this sort of situation is just one you have to come to expect with keeping dovii or managuence. these guapotes eat other cichlids like salvini & jd's in thier natural enviroment so don't be too surpised if they do it in your tank as well.

Thanks guys you have confirmed my doubts on both the Jaguar and the Red Terror.

My list is shrinking to the following

1 x Green Terror

1 x Jack Dempsey/EBJD

2 X Firemouths

1 x Salvini

1 x Texas

1 x Nicuraguan

Silver Dollars, Bns and Pictus Cats

Dave

Having kept a number of salvini in singles and pairs over the years, as japes pointed out, they are a bit of hit and miss. Occasionally you will get a very nasty one and you might not know it until its too late. So keep and eye on them as they mature. Female salvini can be equally wicked. Chances are though that growing up together they will be fine. But certainly leave out the jag, texas and festae. If youre after replacements, you could consider severums, sajica, blue eyes, and even the good old convict.

Cheers,

Jason

As a few have already said, it can be hit and miss with fish, you can get the odd nice one and then the odd really nasty little begger as well!

Even with your new shrunken revised list, I'd still be wary of putting those Firemouths in there. They can stick up for themselves BUT they are also one of the more "peaceful" species....

To show my point of how you can get the odd different temperament in fish, I've had 2 Texas, my first was nasty as hell, my current is a pussy cat and gets pushed around by Acaras!! :lol:

If you still wanted to stick to your stocking list, put them all in as juvies, a 6x2x2 is big enough for them all to stay out of each others way if necessary but still enable them to "grow up" together, therefore make for a better chance of success!!

Do let us know what you decide to eventually stock! :o

Dont know if you have already stocked now but i have the same size tank (x3) and have the following stocking lists - all fish atleast 6" with no aggression.

1. Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Salvini, Convict, Oscar, Black Ghost Knife & Gold Sev

2. Fenestratus, Synspilum, Jack Dempsey, Texas & Salvini.

3. Common JD pair & EBJD pairing project.

plus silver dollars, clown loaches, Pep Bristlenose & goldfish(were used for cycling but now thriving)

Thanks to all for the advice !

Tank is fully cycled and now receiving inhabitants.

4 x mystus vittatus cat fish

1 x JD 3 1/2 "

1 x Salvini 2"

1 x Male GT 3"

1 x Female Festae 2 1/2"

So far the JD is trying to assert his authority but everyone is playing nice.

Couldn't resist the female festae but she will be closely watched as she grows.

Still considering a Texas/convict/sajica and will be adding silver dollars this weekend.

Festae & GT will grow the quickest.

how many silver dollars and what size? I have 4 and it is a mistake that i made, i should of got atleast 6 - 4 is still not big enough a school to prevent them from spooking. they sit in the dark back corner most of the time.

if you can get a texas that would be sweet.

Something to consider, a tank that size will look empty if the festae needs to be removed. you will only have 3 fish which would create a lot of aggression as there wont be many distractions available.

would love to see pix.

I have also sent you a PM.

Silver dollars are in and cruising every where.

JD and the GT are now battling for the top spot in the power zone but all chasing is very mild.

The salvini ignores all and roams hroughout the whole tank unchallenged.

Definitely going to add a Sajica just beginning the search now so if anyone hears of any around please post or pm me as that would be hugely appreciated.

All advice has been fantastic thus far and this forum is probably the best thing on the internet that i use regularly.