batters

Cooked or green prawns?

hey i often feed prawns as a treat to my fish and i know they love them but does anyone know what im better off feeding green or cooked prawns? i know green is closer to natural but i also know that green prawns are dipped in preservitive after theve been caught (stops them going black) and usually cooked food is easier to digest as its already started to be broken down in a sense.

cheers

mick

Bait prawns are all treated with chemicals to preserve them.

One of the most common is Formalin but there is another main chemical which I cannot remember its name atm but was banned from being used in eating foods as its a known carcinogen but is widely used for treating bait in Australia and especially here along the East Coast.

When I remember its name I will post it here.

These chemicals stop the prawns turning black and going off to quick.

It also helps the prawn stay firmer once they are thawed out.

Personally I would never feed bait prawns or any packaged bait to my fish.

It is also far cheaper to buy fresh school prawns from a local fish munger or co-op and freeze them down than buy the small pre packaged baits.

yer definetly agree with you there aussie i wouldnt feed bait prawns to my fish anyway they work out around $15 a kilo so i dont even use them for bait as you can get green prawns cheaper. i know a few blokes that work on the trawlers up townsville and they dip them in preservitives if there not cooking them on the boat probably should be ok for fish we eat preservitives all the time. if i was still up their i'd get either soft and broken or coral prawns off them for abot $8 kg or free, but seeing as i cant get them i just went for the cooked imported hard to beat 6.95kg n besides theres no fish munger in warwick lol.

Sodium metabisulfite is another prawn preservative widely used.

Coral Prawns,havnt eaten one of those for a while and they are quite a nice prawn.

Still cant beat a nice medium Eastern King prawn though,best king prawn in the world for eating. :)